Chapter 5: Your Voice

Hinata's eyes jolted open, his heart pounding in his chest so hard it felt like it would burst. His vision was blurred, but slowly, the cruel world around him came into focus. Hinata, being panicky and distressed as he was, sat up in the bed he had been lying on and wiped the cold sweat from his forehead.

The room was crowded with people. Not just any people either; his team. His family. The people he loved most in the world. Daichi, Sugawara, Asahi, Nishinoya, Tanaka, Ennoshita, Yamaguchi, Tsukishima... they were all there, and were all wearing similar shocked and worried expressions. Closest to the comfortable white bed was none other than his dictator-like king, his best friend, his greatest rival, and everything in between.

Kageyama Tobio.

Kageyama stared at the small boy for a few moments, almost to convince himself that he was alive. Hinata was alive. He hadn't been hurt. Even after the long, quiet slumber he was in, Hinata was awake now.

"W-wait, Kageyama, I-I thought you-" Hinata instantly struggled to get the words out, tears burning in the corners of his eyes threatening to fall. He wiped some sleep from his eyes and continued, "I thought you, you d-died."

"Haaahhh?! Dumbass, you were just dreaming." Kageyama's face fell a little, his body and breath visibly shaky. He blinked a few times, internally commanding his tears not to fall. His heart was burning with the same bundle of emotions as the tears in the back if his eyes.

"N-no, I swear you died.. There was a whole funeral a-and everything. Maybe this is a dream?" Hinata thought for a second before looking back up at Kageyama."O-Oi! Y-you're hurt!" Hinata referred to the cast on Kageyama's right leg and bandages around his head. This time it was Kageyama with the cast, not Hinata.

Instantly, he felt reality hit him in the face. He realized that his best friend in the whole world was physically and emotionally hurt and scarred, and he was the cause of it. Even though the point could be made that he wasn't asleep on purpose, he still started that fight on purpose.

"I'm sorry, I'm such an idiot, I-" Hinata began to stutter out before being cut off.

"Shut up..." Kageyama stood and pulled the small boy into his arms, squeezing his eyes shut and not letting anyone see the pain he was in. He held him as if he'd snap at any second. And he did snap.

Hinata's tears finally began to flow, soaking his own face and Kageyama's team Karasuno jacket. "Promise me... this is r-real. Promise me I'll never have to live w-without you a-again..." Hinata mumbled and buried his face desperately into his setter's chest.

"I promise. I'll never let you feel that pain again." Kageyama reassured his spiker in a shaky voice. He didn't really know how he was supposed to keep that promise, but he let the words out anyways. He couldn't look at Hinata's crying face any longer, and soon enough his own face was soaked in tears trailing down his face.

Kageyama pulled back a little, but only enough to see Hinata's face and place a shaky hand on his chest. Kageyama showed a sad smile and said, "You're heart's beating so fast... take a deep breath."

Hinata closed his eyes and took a deep breath, Kageyama following his own advice and did the same.

"Better?"

"Almost... after you send me another toss, I'll be better." Hinata smiled and quite frankly looked pretty determined to get that toss- and soon. Kageyama nodded his head in agreement and wrapped his arms around Hinata in another gentle hug.

Hinata began to stop his tears as he rested his head on Kageyama's chest. Kageyama closed his eyes, happy to know that his little spiker was alive and ok.