Chapter Twenty-Nine: Gotham

Gotham, 12/27/15, 3:45 PM

Cyborg blinked as he stood amid a crowd of people in the once abandoned city.  He looked around as citizens ran around in a flurry searching for loved ones and those that might have been captured.  Cyborg loomed over most until he looked over seeing Wildebeast and Metamorpho standing in a circle of people.  Cyborg ran through the massive crowd seeing that Wonderwoman was standing amid a circle of heroes.  Shazam lay on the ground hurt alongside Supergirl, Kyle, Blue Devil, and more.  Wonderwoman shook her head back and forth as she paced in front of Cassie.

"Wonderwoman?"  Cyborg asked feeling his forehead as he attempted to piece together what had happened.

The last thing he remembered was overloading the battery and shutting down most of the drones attacking his group.  He remembered Deadshot, Sonar, and Firestorm fighting off the swarm of drones while Flash, Livewire, and Cyborg himself overloaded the battery after a long amount of time working towards it.  Then, suddenly Cyborg blinked and he appeared in the middle of Gotham.

"Cyborg, its good you're here.  What happened to your group?"

"We...We were on the Warworld and had overloaded the battery when we just ended up here."  Cyborg looked around as the civilians gathered with their loved ones.  The streets were filled to the brim as well as rooftops, "Is every captive here now?"

"We're not sure."  Wonderwoman shook her head sighing, "From what I heard most of the planet's population was on Warworld and now most of the population of the Warworld has been limited.  But Cassie is attempting to tell me what happened though most that went to fight Darkseid are unresponsive."

"Did we win?  How did we get down here?"  Cyborg asked crouching to Cassie's level as the tears poured from her eyes.

Cassie kept sobbing and sobbing, she was in a state of shock and distress that would not end.

Cyborg widened his eyes as he realized what was wrong.  He stood up looking to Wonderwoman in the eyes, "Where is Kaldur?"

Wonderwoman widened her eyes as well stepping back and looking to Black Canary and Hawkgirl.  Both shook their heads showing that they had no idea.

"I can explain."  A voice said from behind Cyborg, he turned around seeing Megan there with tears streaming down her face as well, "Its not good."

Cyborg and the others gathered around her as Megan recounted the tale of the battle against Darkseid.  How Darkseid killed Clayface and Connor before being ultimately killed by Doctor Fate, whom revealed that Savage had finally taken control of his body again and wreaked havoc on the group.  The only way that Kaldur'ahm could stop him was by becoming his apprentice and allowing his friends to survive.

Cyborg looked up at the sky, the Warworld was gone.  His mission had not mattered in the end, Savage had enough energy to power the entire station.  Now Savage had ultimate power and the ultimate weapon as well as Kaldur to do with as he pleased.

"We cannot allow him to get away."  Cyborg said looking up as he clenched his hand in a fist, "He'll be going to take control of the universe.  We can't let him."

"I know."  Wonderwoman nodded wiping her eyes and looking down at their wounded, "But we don't have the time nor power to fight him.  We need to focus on the aftermath of this crisis, the civilians and refuges that lost homes in the invasion.  The orphans that lost parents and reconnecting families that were separated.  Getting these people to their respective countries and homes and rebuilding collapsed governments.  That's our job, to protect the people here and we'll do that first.  Then, we'll go after Savage and save Kaldur."