Chapter 35 - The Flow

A/N: This is Peter "thinking" and this is Pepper "thinking."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He reached out and held my hand, which sent shivers racing up and down my spine.

I must have looked shocked, because Peter said, "Hey, relax. We're heading back. Now, this might feel a little strange."

His bracelet's glow spread up his body and traveled onto mine. I felt like someone was massaging me, except with tiny icicles.

I breathed in, trying to relax, when my mind went blank. It was like my body had been dunked in frigidly cold water. I could still sense where I was, but I couldn't see, hear, or feel anything. Then, my being began to move.

It was like I was inside a cloud being gently blown towards a light. I couldn't control my movement.

Then I saw a bright red flash and a huge pair of goggles appeared. There was an indistinct face behind them and I called out.

My vision sharpened and there was a boy standing before me. He had on a dark suit with a bright red jacket, and that same pair of goggles. He waved and disappeared.

It was so unsettling, and I began to freak out.

Hey. It's me. Just relax and go with the flow.

What was that? I thought. Am I hallucinating? Great. I'm going crazy.

First-timers normally see things that aren't there. But try to think louder. I can barely hear you.

So that weird guy was simply a side effect of the weird teleporty-thing. Focusing with all my might, I tried to speak, but it was like my lips were cotton.

No, no, just think it. I'll hear you like you hear me.

Is this okay?

It's a start. Our bodies are flowing through the walls now, that's why it feels so... strange.

Suddenly, we jolted to a stop.

What now?

Our bodies are reassembling. Duh.

Then I was back. I flexed my fingers, loving how I was once again in control. I opened my mouth and closed it, running my tongue across my teeth. Much, much better.

And then my sense of touch came back. It felt like pins and needles, except real ones. And it was everywhere.

"Wh-" I started.

Spider-Man held his hand out. "Give... it a s-second."

I could tell he wasn't in much better shape than I was. So I counted to ten and all of it faded.

Breathing heavily, I stumbled to the wall, using it for support.

"Don't you... EVER... do that again," I gasped.

Peter pointed at Fury, who was impatiently tapping his boot against the bright white tile.

I sighed. Of course, it had to be Fury who wanted us to come back this way. Whatever. I was an Avenger now. I wasn't scared of some teleportation tech made by friggin' Tony Stark.

Fury reached inside his jacket and pulled out a bracelet identical to Spider-Man's. "Hold out your wrist," he commanded.

I did as he obliged, and he snapped it on. "You are to wear this at all times. Do you understand?"

"Sure," I said. "This gea-"

All of the sudden, the rest of the Avengers materialized behind Fury.

I had heard strange shuffling noises, but I never suspected...

"Ah, yes," Tony began, smirking. "You're an Avenger now; you get the cool gear, so you get to see us. Now, first things first. We need to throw Miss... uh... Spyder... a welcome party! I'll handle decor and catering. Yeah, and come tonight at, say, eight. And please, wear normal clothes."

He pushed a button on the nondescript briefcase he was carrying, which opened up into his suit. The iron suit fitted onto him, and the lights in his newly-repaired headpiece flickered to life. Saluting me, he turned and smashed through the wall, and soared out above the city.

I sighed wistfully. I'd love to be able to fly...

But, hey, I chided myself. I can shoot webs, climb walls, and a bunch of other cool stuff. I should be content with what I've got.

But still... Maybe, like, a test flight in one of Stark's many suits. I doubt he'd ever even find out. Well, that's one more thing to add to the bucket list...

Fury massaged his temples. "Stark is going to have to pay for that."

Widow walked over, her forehead bandaged up. I cringed, but all she did was put a hand on my shoulder

"You're tougher than I thought," she said. "Say, you have to be exhausted. How about you and I go upstairs and talk for a while?"

I nodded, suddenly feeling like I just fought the entire Avengers team. I blinked. I guess I just did.

She led me all the way up to my room, niether of us saying a word.

As the automatic door shut behind me, Natasha gestured for me to sit down on the couch across from hers.

I collapsed onto the couch, breathing a sigh.

Natasha folded her hands and leaned forward. "Now," she said. "We begin."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

Fun little fact: I hate the bracelet. It's tight and doesn't go with anything. Even worse, Fury regularly teleports me to wherever for talking. And it's always really boring.

I tried to take it off once, though.

That didn't go too well.