Chapter 23 - *cough* Me *cough*

I woke up in a cold sweat and sat up, rubbing my eyes. Wait. Where the heck was I?

It all came rushing back: I escaped from Marceline's lair. I was lost and climbed up here. That piece of paper from her. That note. My... nightmare.

A sudden flash of rage rushed through my body, flying through every pore. I needed to get revenge, and I needed to do it now. I balled my hands into fists, preparing to scout to the ends of the Earth until I found her, when I heard a crinkle.

Startled, I looked down and opened my hand. There was the note, I remembered. If I wanted to see her, I had to go to... where was it? Ah, yes. Apartment Number 2072, Eastwood Building, Queens, New York City between five and five-fifteen pm any day this week.

Whoa. Stop the train. Slam the brakes. Stop. This. Now. That address was my address.

Shiz.

My anger was replaced with panic. What else had she done? What had she already done? I fell to my knees and let myself cry my feelings away. I cried for my proably dead Uncle Ben, for my poor defenseless Aunt Mae, for that inhumanly beautiful Chase, and for me. For little old me, who had these inexplicably awesome new powers and a sense of responsibility the size of the universe.

And for what my life would be like after this was all over.

When my eyes were dry, I stood up again, slowly. I had to go get my family back, but I couldn't be seen... Dilemma.

I paced the length of the roof, then turned and paced back.

Once, twice, three times.

Then it hit me.

I'd have to really quick, and take the darkest routes. I'd be fine. No civilians, no cameras, no chance of being spotted.

The perfect plan.

Taking a deep breath, I took a running headstart and then flung out web after web, constantly scanning for the shadiest areas. It wasn't too bad. The occasional person would look up because they might have noticed something (cough, me, cough) in their peripheral vision. By the time they realized I was there, I was gone.

I was a blur; a furious, dark flash. No one could or would stop me. I had a mission.

And no one could stop me.

In almost fifteen minutes, without any sense of direction, I had made it to Queens. I was almost there. I dropped onto a roof to catch my breath. It was exhilarating, but it literally took your breath away.

Running a hand through my hair, I decided to go unnoticed for as long as possible, so I walked over to the edge of the roof. Saluting to no one in particular, I took that one step that led me over the edge.

For a moment, all I could feel was the air rushing past my face. Then, my senses blared and I managed to land on two legs without a scratch. My chest swelling with pride, I marched straight into hordes of people.

Whoa. What? The Big Apple was always buzzing, but never this tightly packed, especially not in Queens. What was going on?

Heart pounding, I pushed my way to the front and saw everything with supreme accuracy: Aunt Mae, tied up and hanging over the top of Eastwood Building; Marceline waving, flaming, and flying around my poor but unconscious aunt, drawing ever closer; the impossible climb to my apartment, where my suit was; the groups of people, all clicking away on their cell phones, shot after shot; a news crew, preparing to shoot as well.

And, of course, a league of superheroes swooping in to save the day.

I did a double take. The entire Avengers team?! You have to be kidding me...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

Bombshell.

They're here, peeps.