Chapter 18 - First Encounter

"My lesson is this: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. How am I to emphasize the importance of this? By returning the favor."

I was both horrified and confused at the same time, thoughts running through my head at lightning speed. Should I fight her? If so, should I use my powers, because she'll use hers? What is she going to do with Chase and Uncle Ben? Why is she doing this? What does she mean by 'returning the favor'?

I closed my eyes for a second and shut out everyone's voices. I needed to think. Suddenly, I knew what I should do. I slowly opened my eyes.

"Aw, is widdle Pepper scared of big bad Marcy?" my former friend asked sarcastically. "She should be. Now, let us begin the lesson, starting with group number... one."

I smiled. That was one flaw in her plan. She stalked over to the door. Another one. Poor "Marcy" was about to have a lesson, was she? Well, then I had better be the one to teach it.

I casually walked back over to the center of the room.

"Marceline? Before we begin, I have a quick question. What if the pupil learning the lesson already knows it?"

She turned away from me and stalked to the group of tied-up security guards. "Why, then you simply have to reinforce it."

As quick as a flash, I silently flung out an ultrathin web string and it attached to the rope binding the two people in the second group together. My semi-secret crush, Chase, and my beloved Uncle Ben. I took a deep breath.

"Excellent point, Marceline. Excellent poi-"

I felt a now-familiar jolt and leapt out of the way, still holding onto the web string, as she shot a blast of pure heat at me.

"Why, thank you. I do pride myself on saying quotable ideas, and that was just one of many." She said, turning towards me. "Oh, no. It seems I have accidentally knocked out many of our onlookers. Oh, well. More publicity and faster power aquirement."

I glanced behind me, mind whirring, and stalling for time. I already knew they were there, thanks to my supersenses, but why not humor the now-crazy Marceline?

"Oh, it appears you have. Such a pity." I said, turning away from the otherwise unharmed yet unconscious innocent bystanders.

While she nodded, time seemed to slow down. I noticed she closed her eyes for a split second, so I shot out another strand and it attached to the first group. I was now holding two almost imperceptible webs in my hand. Both, when tugged sharply, would break the ropes that bound the two groups. All of this thinking happened in the course of about three seconds.

"Hey, um, Marceline," I said, trying to divert her attention. "Is that your mom? Yeah, way over there. See her?"

Rather startled, she turned around. I pulled on the web strings and the ropes broke. Both piles of men started to sag and slump, and one of the security guards fell forward onto his face.

I winced.

Marceline whirled back to me, her eyes staring daggers. "You-you... You tricked me! AGAIN! My mom is DEAD, you idiot! I sh-should have never t-trusted you. I should have known better."

She turned to the side, glancing at her captors. "Pepper!" She screamed at me, flames flying in all directions, radiating from her like a miniature supernova.

I was about to piss my pants.

Trying to stay focused, I shot two more webs at the group of men and pulled them out of harm's way with barely any effort.

There. You're safe now, Chase. You too, Uncle Ben. I love you both. I wish I could have told you...

I gulped. "Um, now wouldn't be a good time to get my suit, right?" I muttered to myself.

Thinking fast, I shot a web at a hanging piece of wall and pulled it down. It slammed onto the floor, making a barrier between the people and Marceline. Between inside and outside, peace and a battle. Purely coincidentally, I was standing on Marceline's side. The battle side. Lucky me.

I took a deep breath and faced my new supposedly "arch enemy." She was right where I left her about five seconds earlier, glaring daggers at me.

"You've caused more than enough trouble, for me and for the city," she spat. "I'm doing both you and the city a favor by erasing you from existence."

Wow, I thought, mildly impressed. Has she been reading the dictionary in her spare time between plotting to kill me and plotting to take over the world?

I felt it before she started, but it still surprised me. Marceline's hands began to glow red, slowly at first but getting brighter. The temperature in the room inched up. Steadily increased. Faster, faster, faster.

In this situation, my super senses didn't help at all. If anything, they made it even worse. If that was possible.

I held my ground, but it was getting harder every second.

Marceline, enjoying herself, continued to sashay closer to me, hands splayed outward. I felt my willpower beginning to crumble, felt the heat starting to get to me. It would be so easy to just lie down, curl up in a ball. To give in.

She smirked at me and began to walk faster. I groaned. Slowly but surely, my clothes started to smolder. I bit my lip. She was just too much. I had a split-second idea and shot a web at her feet, hoping to slow her down somewhat.

I instantly regretted it, for several reasons: one, every minisule movement hurt immensely; two, the web disintegrated as soon as it left my wrist; three, Marceline turned up the heat even further.

I couldn't resist it any more; I screamed. It was a long one, filled with a sort of defeat. And pain. Lots of pain. I felt like I was dying. I kind of was, actually.

The last thing I heard before I blacked out were the sounds of Chase starting to rise. "Pepper?" He yelled, banging on the wall. I reached a hand out feebly and collapsed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<·<Pepper_B_Parker*Alias:_Spyder*Position:_S.H.I.E.L.D._agent>·>

So? What do you think? Dramatic enough for ya?

And another question: Since the story is told from my point of view, where d'ya think I'll be when I wake up? In Chase's arms? Tucked into bed? On the edge of a cliff?

Who knows?