Chapter 2: Face off

Start from the beginning

His movements made hardly a sound. I had trouble locating him.

I moved my head, trying to locate him. I shouldn’t have forced the spirit out. My hearing was much better with him inside me.

The vampire was close, but where?

The spirit assembled in front of me, frantically pointing behind me, but he was too late.

“I won’t hurt you. Much.” He whispered.

The vampire grasped around the tree and caught my hair.

F*ck. I tried to pry his fingers loose, but to no avail. He stepped around the tree and turned me, roughly pulling me up.

Ouch, that it felt like he was yanking the hair out of my scalp.

I hissed and tried to hit him, but he simply held me back so that my arms didn’t reach him.

“Now what are you?” he said, studying my face. He had the most beautiful blue eyes I had ever seen and blond spiky hair.

When I didn’t respond, he shook me and grabbed my chin with his other hand.

“Tell me!” He shouted.

“Stop it, you are hurting me.” I begged, letting tears build up in my eyes and giving him the puppy eye look.

Let’s hope it works on vampires too.

He stopped shaking me and studied my face.

“I am sorry, but you harmed me too. I think a bit of pain would put you back in your place.” He responded with a grin.

“Please.” I said, letting a tear drop across my cheek.

His grin faded and his thumb tried to catch the tear. Slowly he caressed my cheek.

“What are you? Tell me.”

I let my lips tremble in fear.

“What is your name?”

His gaze shifted to my mouth and I swiftly licked my lips. In response, his fangs protruded from the sides of his mouth and he stepped closer.

Yes, come to mama.

“So pretty.” He whispered, rubbing his thumb over my bottom lip.

When he was within reach I took his face in my hands and looked into his sapphire eyes.

“Chloe.” I whispered to him before I send him to the other dimension. “Zzzzzzzhhhhhhhhhhinnnnnnnngggggggg”

I let my hand drop down and buckled through my knees, flopping on the ground. I put my head in between my knees and slowly breathed in and out.

That was close. Way too close.

Who was he? He was way stronger than any of them that I met before.

God, I hope he was not one of the council.

This will only work if they do not have a clue. Some of them will welcome it, but others might fight to the very end. I can’t have any distractions

The incantation is too complicated and I cannot take others with me when I cross the boundary. I won’t take that chance. Not after what happened last time. I will not have any more deaths on my name.

Only Gran can know. I can’t hide anything from her anyway.

I looked up and saw the black smoke whirling in front of me. It took shape and nodded, extending something what seemed like an arm and a hand.