Chapter 19

(Kyle's POV)

I read the letter over her shoulder, curious as to what this punk has to say to my mate, even though he's dead. Did he purposely make sure it got lost in the post? I mean, if it had arrived on time, Jess would have caught on and phoned the police, right?

'I have to kill Jessica.' He really thought he would even have a chance of hurting her? I shot up out of my seat and immediately went into protective mode. For a minute, I forgot he was dead, I just wanted to kill him myself. I started shaking so Jess stood up and wrapped her arms around me.

"Calm down, Kyle." She said in a shaky voice. She was clearly very scared. I didn't want her to be scared! I wrapped my arms around her and she pulled her head up to look at me.

"Jess, don't be scared. I'm not gonna let anyone hurt you. Remember, Luke is dead. We can deal with his friends" I whispered, although I think I was trying to convince myself. She nodded and sighed.

"I know." She whispered back, although I could tell that she didn't really believe me.

"Kyle! There's some boys here to see you! Should I send them in?!" I heard Jess' mum shout. I held Jess' hand and pulled her to the door with me. I could smell my pack. Her mum walked back to the kitchen and we saw who was at the door. All of my friends, or pack should I say, were standing outside. Ok...

"What are you doing here, Kyle?" Matt asked. I'm more interested in why they're here. Jess held onto my hand tighter.

"That's not important. I'm gonna be staying here for a few days. Any luck on finding the other?" I asked him. Matt shook his head.

"No, but we do know that his name is Chase." He told us. I looked at Jess to see if she knew the name. Judging by the way she tensed up and took in a deep, shaky breath, I think she did.

"He was Luke's bestfriend." She whispered, looking down at the floor. I sighed.

"Come and see me agian if you have anymore leads." I told them. I didn't think that Jess wanted to talk about this. Especially after that letter. Matt nodded.

"Of course, Kyle. Keep Jess safe." He told me as if I wouldn't.

"All of you stay safe too." Jess told them, looking back up. I smiled at her.

"We will, Jess." Matt told her with a smile. They all walked away without another word, and I closed the door.

"This has been such a long day and the day isn't even over yet." Jess said with a sigh. I sighed too. She was right, I was so tired!

"Is there somewhere we can talk privately?" I asked her, looking towards the kitchen where her mum was probably listening. She nodded and pulled me up the stairs. We entered a light blue coloured room with pictures of Jess and Luke everywhere. Wow...I didn't know where to look without seeing her and Luke. She froze in the doorway, looking around with wide eyes. I quickly ran in and ripped all of the pictures down. She didn't need to see this.

Once all of them had been taken down, I put them in a bin she had in her room. I waited for a minute until she spoke.

"Thank you." She wispered. I smiled at her. She sat down on the bed so I followed her. I sat next to her, but made sure there was a little space between us.

"Jess, we're gonna stop this." I whispered. I know I've said a load of times but I've meant it everytime.

"I don't doubt you." She told me, although I think she did. I ran a hand through my hair, a little frustrated. "Kyle, you're too nice to me." She whispered. I looked at her with my eyebrows raised. She seriously thinks that?

"Jess, I'm treating you how you're supposed to be treated." I told her. Wow, how badly did Luke great her when they were together? She sighed.

"I need to ask you something." She told me. I raised an eyebrow. Random, but ok.

"Ok. Go for it." I nodded, curious as to what she could ask me right now. She looked slightly confused then shook her head.

"Actually, it dosen't matter." She told me, looking defeated. I frowned.

"It does matter, Jess." I said. She flopped down on her bed so she was laying on her back with her legs dangaling over the edge.

"You're gonna think I'm stupid. Well, you know how I'm getting used to you now?" She asked. I nodded, secretly really happy."Well, um, that kiss before...did it mean something to you?" She asked. I riased my eyebrows. Of course it did! I just didn't say anything incase she didn't feel the same."Actually forget it. This is stupid." She said while standing up and walking towards the door. Whoa, I don't think so! I quickly jumped up and grabbed her hand, making her spin around.

"Jess, it meant a lot to me." I whispered honestly. She raised her eyebrows. Before I could say anymore, she grabbed my face and kissed me. Well, I wasn't expecting that! She pulled away from me and blushed a lot. I grinned, because hey, I'm not complaining!

"Jess!" I heard Jess's mum shout. She coughed nervously before running down the stairs. I laughed a little and followed her into the kitchen where her mum was.

"Yes?" Jess asked, standing in front of her mum.

"This phone was ringing." She said, handing Jess my phone. Jess gave it to me with an eyebrow raised. Oh no...I saw I had one missed call. I redialled the number and someone answered.

"Hey bro. Bout time you got back to me." They answered. It was Drew.

"Drew? How did you get my number?" I asked him. I noticed Jess relax when she knew it was Drew. Jess' mum walked away, carrying on with her cleaning.

"I found Matt and asked him. Anyway, have you asked her yet?" He asked. I wish he would drop this!

"Bye, Drew." I growled then hung up. He's so annoying. He has a thing about me asking Jess to move in with me. I told him that I'll ask her when she's ready.

"What's wrong?" Jess asked me. Her mum looked back then slipped out of the room while we spoke.

"My brother." I said, rolling my eyes. She folded her arms.

"I heard something about 'have you asked her yet?'." She told me. Damn, Drew.

"It dosen't matter." I told her, trying to avoid the subject. I was going to walk off but she pulled me back.

"Kyle, tell me." She said while she wrapped her arms around my neck. Is this how she was trying to get it out of me?"Please?" She asked, raising her eyebrow. I sighed.

"Right, well, I'm not gonna ask you but I will when you're ready." I told her, still bot wanting to say. She nodded. "Alright well, I'm gonna ask if you would move in with me." I told her. She raised her eyebrows, looking away for me and taking her arms back.

"Hmmm..." She said, trailing off. She was actually thinking about it?! My phone started ringing so I looked at it to see it was from Matt. Is there something bad?

"Matt?" I asked just as I answered the phone. I folded my arms, listening intently.

"Kyle, don't leave Jess' side. I think Chase has picked up your scent. Get Jess' mum to stay with you too. Don't move until I tell you it's safe." I heard Matt's serious voice.

"Got it." I said then hung up. I pulled Jess into the lounge where her mum was and we sat down."Ok, we all have to stay in here. Chase picked up my scent, Matt will tell me when it's safe." I said. They both nodded, but her mum looked petrified. Jess laid her head on my shoulder so I put my arms around her, trying to show that I will keep her safe. We all sat back and waited for the all clear.