Part 35: New Tattoos

Start from the beginning

"What the hell are you doing?" He hissed in my ear. I gave him the thumbs up. He tried to grab the marker from me and I jabbed it at him. He jumped back a step so it wouldn't stain his clothes. I turned back to my current task.

In the place where Ryker's hair usually covered, I scrawled Eve was here, right underneath his hairline. I smoothed his hair back in place and he still didn't wake up. Then I capped the marker and yanked Xander up the stairs behind me with all his markers in his arms.

We didn't dare breathe again until we were back in my room. I collapsed beside Xander on my bed as we both breathed heavily. Our chests rose and fell rapidly, out of rhythm.

"Shit, Eve. I thought you were going to get us spotted with that last stunt of yours," Xander said once he had caught his breath. He sat up against the headboard and I stayed where I was.

"It was worth the risk," I said and we cracked up, giddily.

I couldn't wait to see how Ryker liked his new tattoos in the morning. I started imagining how angry he was going to be, having to go to school with them and all. Everyone would see the tattoos and I started laughing again.

"One, two, three, four..." Xander started counting. I picked my head up as he said, "We're missing one."

"Missing what?"

"A marker."

I sat up in a flash, roaming my hands all over my bed and searching around the room for the missing marker. It wasn't here which meant it was downstairs with Ryker. We couldn't let him find it. That would be all the evidence he needed and who knew what he would do to us then?

I scrambled out of my bed and said bravely, "I'll go get it."

Xander shook his head, "That's not a good idea. You're so clumsy all the time. I should go."

I put my hand on my doorknob as Xander stood up. I said, "Hey, I just gave Ryker two tattoos without waking him up. Give me some credit and have a little faith in me."

With that, I opened the door and tiptoed back downstairs. I scanned the area in the living room around Ryker for the marker. I found it easily enough on the floor where I had been sitting to give him the tattoo on his wrist.

Ryker was still in the same position as we had left him in. I crawled underneath his arm to reach the marker because I was too lazy to go around the couch to get it. My back bumped his arm and his hand landed right on my ass. I jerked forward and his hand slid off of me. In my hurry to get away, I had knocked right into the table. A cellphone that I hadn't noticed before crashed to the floor.

I shot a wild look at Ryker to see if he was still asleep. I grabbed his phone and the marker when he didn't wake up. The screen was lit up with a ton of text messages. Most were from Hannah asking about God only knows what. A few were from his band members about their band staying together. And one was from his father.

Why aren't you coming home? It read. The message had been sent this morning and Ryker still hasn't responded. I was tempted to text back that he was intruding someone else's house to live at for now, but I refrained.

I clicked the screen off when another text from Hannah came through. It said something extremely cheesy and lovey-dovey.

Blech. I wanted to vomit. I could picture them whispering their undying love for each other. They were perfect for each other, both being jerks and all. That gave me an idea and I turned the screen back on.

I clicked on Hannah's name, typing out a message as my fingers flew across the keyboard.

I froze mid-sentence.