Life Beyond Revenge

Ezra couldn't muster the energy to climb to his feet. Instead he extended a hand in the direction of the holocron vault. The lock turned and clicked into place. The vault door slowly opened.

"Get a face full of this bucket heads!" Zeb shouted, rushing out of the holocron vault door. His borifle was held high over his head. The rest of the rebels were right behind him, weapons held high. They broke off the charge when they realized that there was no immediate danger.

"Ezra!" Sabine shouted. Kanan dropped to his knees beside Ezra.

"What happened?" Kanan asked.

"Kimble turned to the dark side," Ezra murmured. "Conner and Kimble . . . they're dead. Evelyn was hurt."

"How do you feel?" Kanan asked as Hera and Sabine went to Evelyn's side. Zeb stood watch.

"I'm fine," Ezra grunted. "How is Evelyn?"

"Kanan . . . I'm not sure she's going to make it," Hera said. Kanan and Ezra moved to Evelyn's side. She was still unconscious from Kimble's attack.

"Can we save her?" Ezra asked. "There has to be a way, right? There's always a way."

"There might be," Kanan said. "I've heard of Jedi in days past uniting their power and using the force in order to save the lives of other Jedi."

"But Evelyn isn't a Jedi," Ezra said. "Her dad was, but she doesn't have the force."

"That should be enough," Kanan said. "Evelyn will still need medical attention, but together we might be able to keep her alive just a little longer."

"I'm willing to try anything," Ezra pledged.

"Reach out through the force," Kanan instructed. "Let your aura connect with Evelyn's. It's the same as connecting with other creatures with the force. Let the force be your guide."

Ezra and Kanan both closed their eyes. They connected with Evelyn through the force.

"We need to get to a medical facility," Kanan instructed. Slowly the rebels began walking out of the old Jedi Temple, carrying Evelyn as they went.

Hang on Evelyn, Ezra thought.

---

Evelyn slowly opened her eyes. She had honestly never expected to do so again. She was onboard an unfamiliar ship. Ezra was nearby, staring out the viewport. A medical droid was working a short distance away.

"What happened?" Evelyn asked, sitting up. Ezra blinked and looked at her, face breaking out into a smile.

"I'm glad you're up," he said.

"Where are the others? And how am I not dead?" Evelyn asked.

"This is our substitute for the Ghost, at least temporarily," Ezra explained. "The others are probably in the cockpit."

"What happened to Conner? And Kimble?"

"They're dead," Ezra said, looking back out the viewport. Evelyn glanced at her hands. They sat in momentary silence.

"The medical droid said you should be fine," Ezra told her, coming back to his senses. "You'll just have a scar. But now we match!"

"I'm going to have a scar?" Evelyn asked in horror.

"Hey, I don't see what you're complaining about," Ezra said playfully. "Mine is bigger."

"Anything that we have in common is an awful thing," Evelyn said.

"You just can't handle how awesome I am, Kitty," Ezra teased.

"Kitty?" Evelyn asked while raising an eyebrow.

"Hey, you call me fluffy, I call you Kitty," he told her. He turned more serious. "What are you going to do now?"

"I'm staying with you guys, aren't I? After all, it's the bests chance I'll ever have of getting close to Darth Maul again."

"In that case, welcome to the crew," Ezra said while extending a hand. Evelyn smiled and shook it.

"I feel welcomed," she said. "But don't get on my nerves, or I'll put a bullet through your head."

"I'll keep that in mind," Ezra told her with a laugh. Evelyn couldn't help joining in. Maybe living for something besides revenge wasn't so bad after all. Maybe things could actually work out.

Just maybe.

The End