Romeo and Juliet : an alternative ending

Romeo and Juliet – Creative writing (story/play- script)

“Thursday morning you shall be married to the young and handsome Paris.”

 I shuddered just thinking about that scenario…. I would never betray dearest Romeo like that! But I had no clue as to what I should do.

“You will do as I say; if not then I know exactly what to do with you.” I couldn’t stop thinking about what Father had implied would happen if I didn’t agree to marry Paris. On one side loving Romeo, who had placed all his trust in me to remain safe while he couldn’t be present to protect me from such situations, but on the other side were Father and his threats.

There wasn’t anything wrong with Paris, it was just that I was already committed to someone I loved dearly (my family still has no idea about that of course).  There was also the fact that I just didn’t think of Paris in that way, so I just couldn’t imagine my future with him.

I sat there as I thought of the situation I was facing, I was so clueless… I wish I could somehow just make these problems disappear and instead of sitting alone on the hills I had my arms wrapped around dearest Romeo, knowing that I never wanted to let go.

I snapped out of my thoughts, ‘Now was not the time to be thinking about that’ I reminded myself. I had to think of a way to get out of this without anyone getting harmed. If only I could delay this marriage with Paris…

All of a sudden an idea struck my head and my eyes widened, awestruck. How had I not thought of this before, would have saved everyone time and effort. I stood up, determined to carry out the plan in my head before I changed my mind.

***

I have to do this, I thought in my mind for the twenty-sixth time since I stood up, it was for every one’s benefit, I hoped I was right as I entered the gates to the Capulet mansion.

Looking up at the mansion it just screamed power, wealth and authority. There was a rocky driveway leading around the round little garden in the centre to the mansion porch and then to the huge garage on the right side of the mansion, which lead to the exit way and out the gates. Even the gates were a polished colour of black, conveying the message of authority. The mansion was made of pure stone, everything from the walls to the rooms, giving the house a feeling of grandeur. Even the furniture was probably going to make the lifetime’s worth amount of money for a normal person.

Beautiful, that was the only word I could think of to describe this place. Even though I had lived in this place from before I could remember, the beauty of it always seemed to blow me away. Other than ours there was only one other mansion in the city of Verona that could match the beauty of our mansion: the Montague mansion in other words the residence of each Capulet’s sworn enemy. Other than that it was also the birthplace of Romeo Montague, the one person I loved and committed to with all my heart and soul.

I entered the doors to the mansion where I saw an aged lady waiting whom I recognised as father’s maid. I walked toward her, making sure I was composed, so my true feelings over this matter would not be understood. The maid bowed as I neared her.

“Juliet Dear, how have you been?” she asked taking in my posture, she probably guessed I wasn’t up to something good.

“I have been fine, why thank you.” I replied making sure my tone remained light. “what is the matter, dearest maid?” I asked.

“Your father, Lord Capulet, would like to have a word with you,” I tried to look surprised, but I was expecting something of this sort. I couldn’t blame father, he still thought I disagreed to marrying Paris.