Chapter 21

"No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind." - Taylor Swift

Thanks to @SwiftiesStrikeBack who decided on this quote!!

Chapter 21

6 hours to go

It only took us a few minutes to figure out that the RV wasn't going to get fixed in half-an-hour. But it took us two hours to wait for a passing vehicle. Anything at all. It was getting dark and the sun was setting. As a few rain drops started to fall down, it became clear that the sky was about to crash the parade. It looked as If it wasn't going to be the perfect night in Time Square.

What we weren't expecting was a tourist bus, full of people who were visiting New York. It would've been perfect if not the bus driver would let us hitch a ride with them and ignore the curious eyes from the passengers. But seeing as it would the only vehicle that would pass through for the next two hours or so, it was our only chance. I had promised myself that I wouldn't hit rock bottom and start begging.

Well, what do ya know?

"Please!" I pleaded.

"Just one ride!" Eve didn't follow my strategy  and start pleading, but stayed with being stubborn.

"I wouldn't have a problem with you two riding alone if you had tickets, but ya don't!" the driver spat.

"Why would anyone need tickets to travel in a cramped bus with a bunch of oldies? You're glad we're desperate! "

I mummer of anger went throughout the bus and the bus driver put on a fake smile.

"Calm down everyone! We'll be in NY in just a few hours. Just in time to catch the lights in Time Square!"

A cheer went up and a few clapped enthusiastically.

"It's raining!" Eve pointed out.

He ignored Eve. "And while we're here, we're going to take a quick break. Feel free to explore the gas station but don't wonder off." The driver tried to sound enthusiastic but it was clear that he would rather not spend his new year stuck in a bus with a bunch of overly-happy people.

As the passengers slowly got out of the seats and trudged towards the gas station, the driver gave us a look.

"Besides, I can't take on anymore luggage. I'm sorry, but no ticket, no seat." It was clear in his voice that he wasn't sorry.

"Now if you excuse me," he got up and got out of the bus.

"We don't even have any luggage!" I called out after him.

As I was about to walk out the door, sit in the rain and pounder about how unfortunate we were, I stopped.

"He should never leave when someone else's still on the bus," I said with a grin.

Eve gave me a crazy look as she registered what I was saying.

"Sneaking in? Isn't that illegal?"

"You tell me," I shrugged.

"What if we get caught?" Eve asked uncertainly.

"We won't!" I walked further into the bus and stopped at the end corner of the bus.

"Anyways, I'm not the rebel. How are we going to sneak in?" I asked her as I examined the back seat.
Eve was quite for a few minutes then looked at me with a crazy glint in her eyes. "We're going to have to sit in a free seat and hope for the best."

I was glad to find that the back seat consisted of no luggage and overturned books. I sat down by the window seat and Eve slipped in next to me. Through the window, I could hear the tourists chatting in loud voices and musing over how fast the weather had changed. While Mandy was nowhere in sight, I could see Phill and Jace standing by the RV and talking.

I spotted Rosa and Josh outside the garage, kicking dirt in the rain. Rosa caught my eye and nudged Josh with her elbow. I put my finger to my lips and they got the signal. They turned around and pretended as if nothing happened, but from the corner of my eye, I could see Josh smiling at the ground.

The tourists started heading for the bus and my heart started speeding up. I quickly looked away from the window, in hope that no one has seen me.
" They're going to see us like this!" I whispered to Eve.

Eve looked panicked and I drifted my eyes to the pocket of brochures that were attached to the back of the seat in front of us. Eve followed my gaze and quickly grabbed two magazines that were stored there. Eve handed one to me and I quickly put it up to my eyes and pretended to be reading.

We looked over the magazines at the tourists that piled into the bus and took their seats. An old couple made their way to the seat in front of us and Eve and I quickly hid our faces behind the magazines.

"Excuse me, young lady," I heard a voice and my heart quickened. Eve gave me a panicked look and widened her eyes.

I averted my eyes and lowered my magazine. The same woman that sat in the seat in front of us with her husband was looking at me with a pitying smile.

"You're looking at your magazine upside down, darling," she took my magazine from my hands and turned it the right way up.

"Don't worry. It happens to me sometimes. Nothing to worry about, dear!" she patted my hand and sat back in her seat.

"Thank you," I muttered.

I breathed in a sigh of relieve and turned to Eve. "Whoa," she whispered.

"Ok, ladies and gentlemen, we're ready to go!" the bus driver shouted from the front and Eve and I quickly ducked in our seats.

The bus trudged out of the gas station and we looked at Rosa and Josh who gave us a quick smile. 

*******************

Hey lovely readers!! 

Happy Easter to everyone who celebrate it! I'm getting  five days off from school due to Easter, so hopefully I can update double!! <3

If you have a favorite quote that you would like for me to put in my book, be sure to PM me with your quotes!

VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE!! Every single vote and comment makes me smile! It's going to make my day!! <3

Nancy