Chapter 2

This is not edited

Chapter 2

I sat curled up in Eve's couch holding a mug of coffee to my chest. We live in a part of California that normally didn't get much snow in the winter Even if it wasn't that cold; it was still a little too cold for my taste. Eve's apartment's about 20 minutes from mine and 20 minutes in my cold car (even with the heater on) made me feel like I was living in Alaska.

Unlike my apartment, Eve's had an electric fireplace in it. The fireplace was lit ablaze but gave off little warmth. As soon as I entered the apartment, I was strictly aware of the face that she also had the heat pump going. Unfortunately, these made no difference and the house was still a bit cold.

"Why does it feel like this coffee is getting colder by the second?" I questioned.

"Maybe because it is," Eve said in an obvious tone.

She flopped down on the couch in front of me as I sipped the coffee. "Ok, first, how's your Christmas? Is it plain old boring?"

"You sound like one of those people on TV ads......" I trailed.

"So?"

"My dad says they're not good for the soul," I reply bluntly.

Eve stared at me for exactly ten seconds before bursting out laughing. After she had wiped away tears and calmed down, she looked at me. "Wow!"

"What's so funny? It's not that funny!" I cried with a smile. We both laughed and I tried not to choke on my coffee.

"Ok. As I was saying, how's everything going? How're you getting on at the academy? We haven't been able to catch up in ages!" Eve sipped her coffee.

"It's been fine. The holidays are going to be like the calm before the storm. It's going to be so busy with the exams coming up and stuff." Getting into a Film academy was one of the best things about moving to California.

"You getting on alright?"

"So so. Law school's hard." Eve said with a nod.

After a silence, Eve looked at me with a glint in her eyes. "Well, the main reason that I called you was to ask you something."

I waited for her to carry on and tucked my legs under a cushion.

"Do you remember Eric Hills from High School?"

"Yeah, who wouldn't?" I scoffed.

"Well..........." she dragged and I gave her a look above my mug.

"What're you planning?"

"I want revenge," Eve smiled creepily.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "From Eric?"

The evil grin on Eve's face never left as she nodded. "For all the pranks he pulled on us. We were always on the midst of his stupid pranks and we always got in trouble. Do you remember how we got in trouble because he toilet papered the whole school?"

"Yeah," I gritted my teeth.

I spaced out as I remembered what happened that night.

***************

FLASHBACK

"That was the coolest –"Eve was cut short as we heard hollers coming from the other side of the park, near the school.

We shared a look and made our way across the park and saw that the school front gates were covered in what suspiciously looked like toilet paper.

"No. Way." I whispered.

The side gate to the school was open and without thinking at all, we slipped inside the school grounds. The whole school was Strawn with toilet paper and the floor was littered with confetti. As we neared the school gym, we heard laughing, and I could hear male voices.

"This is bad news Tess. Let's get out of here.......," we turned around to go but stopped in our tracks when we heard footsteps.

Out of the side of the gum, appeared seven boys, and I instantly knew what was going on.

"Eric" was all I could muster.

They were all wearing black hoddies and dark jeans. "Who've we got here?" someone stepped into the light and I could see that it was James Spinner, one of Eric's sidekicks.

"Don't talk to us like that. Eric, tell your excuse of a friend to shut up!" Eve spat.

"Whoa, calm down.........." Eric appeared out of the shadows and I knew this was not going to end well.

"Help us pull the best prank in history!" Eric said as if he was addressing a crowd. He pulled out two toilet paper rolls from a back pack and placed them in our hands.

"Why would you do something like this?" I croaked out.

Eric ignored my question. "You know, good girls are bad girls that are scared to admit that they're bad!"He said in a matter of fact of voice.

"I'll show you bad!" Eve lunged at him but before she could throttle him to his death, lights came on all around the school.

Eric gave me a smirk and they jumped over the school fence. From behind the school building, Mr. Lowell's (the principle) smiling face appeared. His smile turned into a frown as he neared us.

"Tessa Finely and Eve Grace. You don't seem like the type to do something like this."

"We didn't do it!" I objected.

"But I caught you red handed." He said and pointed at the toilet rolls in our hands.

END OF FLASHBACK

***************