Chapter 6

Rolling down the streets of Miami on a Miami bus I noticed the people are way different from Texas. But it's a good different. I decided to go alone and leave everyone else at the hotel to do what ever.

Once we turned on the street that my mother is on I pulled the rope from beside me telling the bus driver that I needed to get off.

He pulled over the the side and stopped, so I got off and inched my purse up my shoulder farther having second thoughts. I walked up the small hill passing others. Following the house numbers I came to hers.

530 Fairfield Drive.

So many ideas and thoughts ran through my head. Was Nathan right? Could this really be my mom? Is this a bad idea?

Looking at the door gave me support. If this Is my mom, I have finally completed a mission. At least it's something I could feel good about.

With my sweaty and numb palms I asked myself, What will I do when I see her?

I'm just going to let it play out. Talk with her would be the best choice. I slowly nodded on the door followed by a couple of moments of silence.

After five seconds, a women dress in a black skirt and a white button up blouse, with red wedges opened the door and smiled at me as if she knew me already. She was even more beautiful in person then those pictures I had searched through.

Her hair was smoothly slick down into a tight bun at the back of her head and her eyes twinkled. "Um, hi. You must be the therapist. Your pretty young." She said and smiled a nice, bright smile. She was so pretty that I thought I may have mistaken her for my mother.

I was lost in my words from seeing this woman in front of me. She didn't look like she had smoked a day in her life, or she didn't look like she had lost her best friend. I figured she would be still be depressed from when I was given up for adoption.

"Has your mom ever told you not to stare." She said softly with a laugh. I smiled and tears came to my eyes.

"I'm looking at her." Was all that came out of my mouth. Her smiled turned down. "What do you mean, sweetheart?"

I sighed and wiped my tears, "Its me mom... Kaylee." I finally said. She was so in shock and just stared at me. Her hand made its way to my face and she caressed my cheek. I put my hand on her and closed my eyes. I could feel the connection we had already had.

"I know, your probably thinking who I am and it's fine. I just had to know who my real mom is." I told her. Her eyes swelled up.

"Why did you leave me?" I asked. She looked guilty and pulled me softly into the house. We sat on the sofa across from each other.

"Well.. You may already know that when I was eighteen I gave you up for adoption. The reason why is because I had just been fired from a job, I was... Depressed because your father ran off when I was in labor with you. At the time also is because my grandfather died and he was the closest thing to a father. My dad never really was there. He would go back and forth with his work." She spoke and looked off in the distance. "How did you find me?" She made eye contact with me.

"Well I was at the hospital a year ago, and I sat with your mom who turns out to be my grandmother. She told me about you and your sister. Just a few months ago I came across this picture and your name came up. And I know this may sound like I'm a stalker and I'm not, but I googled your name, it gave me your address and here I am in Miami looking for my real mom. And by the looks of it my mission is over." I told her. We both laughed.

Talking for hours I knew that this was my mom. We had the same personality, laugh and smile. We had many things in common. I still haven't told her about Ruth.

It was getting dark and she offered to take me home so we rode in her Buick to my hotel listening to the Grease soundtrack she had in her music player. We both learned the love old school movies.

She pulled up to our hotel and parked. Suddenly my phone started ringing and it was Nathan.

"Hello." I said in the phone as we were still in the parking lot.

"Your child needs you." She said playfully. I laughed while hearing crying in the background. I hung up and looked over at my mom.

"I've got to go. Ruth needs me-" I said, my hand on the handle. "Ruth?" She lowered her eyebrows in confusion.

It's already spoken of, "Ruth is my daughter. She's one." I said. She smiled.

"Can I see her? And this.. Nathan." She said her eyes bright. I stared in her eyes and still seen the guilt in her eyes. Giving her sympathy I nodded before we made our way to the hotel room.

After I knocked we looked at each other worried about the outcome. Nathan came to the door with Ruth drinking a bottle. Her face was red, and her hair was a mess. I laughed as Nathan stared at my mom. "Um, well, hi ma'am. I'm, um, my name is Nathan-" 

"I know who you are." She gave him a hug. I took Ruth and gave her a kiss. They let go and she had a smile. We made our way to the sitting area and sat on the couch, I sat on the floor with Ruth as she played with her toys. 

Not to long after an hour mom made her way back home. We had a great time and a great laugh. Ruth down to earth fell in love with her. They are alike in some ways. If I hadn't never known about my adoption I wouldn't have found my real mom, or who Ruth got her traits from. 

I finally achieved something and completed my mission. I found my mom and that's all that matters. I feel complete. I'm happy.