08. waltz with me

Start from the beginning

"He doesn't seem to know what he's doing," Mr. Henderson added, knitting his brow.

"But you on the other hand..."

The tip of his ears became pink, and she smiled.

Against her own judgment, Mr. Henderson turned out to be quite a surprise on the dance floor. He guided her around the studio, leading the way in the rhythm of the waltz, and haven't stepped on Alia's feet a single time. "I've always been fascinated by music and dance," he confessed after a quick spin, a grin spreading across his face. "So I'm told that dancing is the best way to encourage affection."

She laughed. Wait a minute, was her boss using a movie reference? Mr. Henderson smirked, raising one eyebrow. "Even if the partner is barely tolerable like me?"

It was his time to laugh. "Even if the partner is barely tolerable, Alia."

They swiveled around the dance floor, and when they stopped again, Alia shook her head. Not far from them, Edward was saying sorry again.

"I must confess I thought you'd be awful."

"And why, if I might ask?"

"Well, you don't look like the dancing type, Mr. Hen... Colin," Alia confessed, a guilty chuckle escaping from her lips. "I was practically saying goodbye to my feet."

"Thank you for your trust." He chuckled.

"How was I supposed to know you were a hidden Baryshnikov?" Alia laughed, faking an offended tone. "You've never danced at the company's parties."

"Well, neither have you."

"Because I'm terrible," she stated, chuckling.

"For someone who did Grease, I thought you could not only dance, but give an entire show..."

"Very funny." Alia squinted her eyes, crossing arms behind his nape. "And before you ask, the answer is no."

"What?"

"I won't sing."

"Well, at least I tried." He laughed. Jane grunted when Edward stepped on her feet again. Mr. Henderson frowned for a moment. "So, what's your report until now?"

"My report?"

"If you had to give an opinion about me as a boyfriend, what would you say? From one to ten."

"I'd say... five out of ten."

"Five?" Mr. Henderson knitted his eyebrows. "That's awful. I'm at least an eight."

"Wha— Wait, are we really doing this?"

"I'm sorry if I'm curious and like to rate things based on scales."

Alia thought for a while, enjoying that little mystery. They swayed to the waltz, not really caring for posture or moves, and she gave him a playful smile.

"Okay. I'll give you a seven. You're a nice fake boyfriend," she admitted. "And I can say I'm discovering a lot of fascinating things about you, Colin."

"I guess I can say the same about you, Alia."

She wouldn't be able to say if the music was still playing or if there was anyone else in that studio. Mr. Henderson gazed at her, his smile fading. They weren't dancing anymore, but Alia kept the arms around his neck, suddenly aware of strong hands around her waist.

Shit, are you flirting with me? Alia's weak attempt to smile didn't work, and Mr. Henderson's gaze wasn't exactly helping soothe her. Then, she got lost in his warm brown eyes and sweet smell of mint tea.