'Because for eighteen years, she told me his name was Jonathan Andrew Clark. It was a lie, but whatever was in that box meant a lot to her. Maybe there's something inside that could help us track him.'

Alec's head was reeling from the new information. 'Where can we find the box?'

'I think it's still back at the loft. Let's go get it.' Clary suggested, putting her staff down.

Alec was already shaking his head. 'Absolutely not, not without permission.'

Alec took up a fighting stance again waiting for Clary to pick up her weapon and begin again. A strange expression crossed her face as she looked at Alec curiously and cautiously.

'Alec?' Her voice was careful and slightly guilty.

'What?' Alec questioned suspiciously.

'Whose Adelaide?'

Clary watched as Alec's entire body tensed up, his breath catching in his throat the practice staff slipping from his fingertips. Clary immediately began to apologise, realising it was a sore subject.

'It doesn't matter – It's none of my business-'

'You're right. It's none of your business.' Alec's voice was emotionless as he picked up the fallen object.

Clary scrambled for something to say.

'Alec'

'Who – Who told you about her?' Alec didn't look Clary directly in the eyes, instead choosing to look at his hands gripping onto the staff.

'Jace, mentioned her. He seems to care for her a lot.' Clary shrugged.

Alec could have laughed as she avoided his eyes. She was jealous.

'He did.' He responded after a few moments. 'Care for her.'

'Did?' Clary noticed the past tense.

Alec sighed.

'She died just over a year ago. We all grew up together, my parents raised her.'

Clary covered her mouth, 'Oh my god, Alec...' But Alec didn't want her pity.

'I'm assuming you were wondering if her and Jace ever dated. They didn't. It wasn't like that.' Clary didn't miss the way he refused to meet her gaze.

'You were all close then?' Clary already knew the answer but she wanted confirmation.

'She was Izzy's parabatai, and Jace saw her as a sister.' He shrugged as if it didn't mean anything.

'And you?' By now the two were sitting on the steps leading to the training room. Clary was surprised Alec was telling her anything, and she was trying to be careful not to push him too far. She knew far too well how quickly Alec blew up. 'What was she to you?'

'She was my best friend.' Alec shrugged. 'But that doesn't matter now because she's gone.' Alec's tone turned bitter.

'How did she...' Clary trailed off gently. Alec knew what she was asking.

'We don't know. No one does.'

Clary was shocked. 'You know she died but you don't know how?' Clary knew she'd gone too far when Alec's expression darkened as he got up and began walking away.

'Yes.'

'But how...?' Clary followed him.

Alec spun around to face the much shorter red head.

'Weren't you listening, Clary? Adelaide was Isabelle's parabatai. When a shadowhunters parabatai dies so does a part of themselves. Jace and I watched Isabelle scream in agony as she felt her connection to Adelaide break and then fade entirely, all the while knowing that somewhere the girl we'd grown up with was dying.' Alec's voice was cold, his entire body shaking with anger at being forced to reopen wounds that still weren't healed.

Alec stared at Clary as he finished speaking, daring her to question him further, until Alec's phone rang, startling them both slightly.

'Hello, who is this?'

*****

'Being safe is so boring.'

Adelaide rolled her eyes at Magnus. He'd be complaining about his boredom all day. He'd already turned her hair bubblegum pink. Twice.

'Being safe is better than being dead.' She pointed out to him.

Adelaide stared at Magnus as he began grinning widely at her.

'What?'

'I know exactly how we can make this day more interesting.'

'What are you planning?' She asked suspiciously as he pulled out his phone, dialling a number. 'Magnus...' She moved closer to Magnus to hear the conversation. Magnus smirked as he put the call on speaker.

'Hello? Who is this?' The familiar voice rang in her ears and Adelaide covered her mouth. She shook her head at Magnus. 'Hang up.' She mouthed to him.

'Alexander? Hi. It's Magnus. We met the other day? You know. With the demon.' Magnus grinned at the expression on Adelaide's face.

'Uh yeah. Yeah, hey, what's up?' Alec sounded distracted.

'I was just thinking, it was really nice getting to know you. You seem... sympathetic. Would you like to go out for a drink sometime?' Adelaide's jaw dropped, Magnus was hitting on Alec.

'That sounds fun. Um, when?' Adelaide nearly squealed at his answer. Was Alec finally accepting himself? She hoped so. That's all she'd ever wanted for him.

'How about right now?' Magnus questioned.

'Um, you know now's not really a good time for me. Another time? Gotta go.' Alec hung up rather quickly.

'Playing hard to get? I love a challenge.' Magnus hummed as he hung up the phone, receiving a sharp wack on the arm from Adelaide.

'Why would you do that!' Her voice was high pitched as she practically jumped on Magnus.

'Is it so hard to believe I might be interested in him?' At Adelaide's look he sighed. 'Fine. I was going to get him a little drunk, and ask him about you.'

Adelaide hadn't expected that. 'What? Why?'

'Because I can see how much just hearing about them affects you, I wanted to see if it would be possible for you to see them again.'

'Magnus, you know why I can't.' Adelaide said sadly.

'In case you haven't noticed, all three of them are running around with Clary Fairchild, Valentines daughter. I'm sure they'd understand your own position sunshine.'

Adelaide's expression was grim.

'I'm not so sure they would.'