Forty-Five: Dilemmas

Start from the beginning

It was times like these that I was grateful for my suit. I barely felt anything as I tumbled down, but I’m sure my hands and face were a bit scratched.

The world was spinning above me when I finally came to a stop. I closed my eyes for a second, trying my best not to throw up for the disorientation.

You’d think I’d learn to be careful and not do stupid things that get me to this stupid awkward turtle position, but I guess you could say I was on a roll.

When I was feeling a bit better, I opened my eyes and looked around. I had managed to roll all the way down to the football field. Thankfully the fence bordering the field was nearby, so I stomached the roll there and used it as my support to pull myself up.

I was never falling asleep in my fat suit ever again.

After mentally groaning about the fact that I had to walk all the way up the hill again, I started to think about how I would get my way out of a detention as I began to make my way back to the school.

Something made me stop though. I stopped when I noticed the smell of something burning. I looked around the football field and my eyes widened as they landed on the benches. A small fire was starting to form.

I ran as fast as my suited up legs would take me.

“Holy crap, holy crap,” I chanted as a way of not completely freaking out.

Reaching the bleachers, I quickly started stomping on the fire to put it out.

“Stop! Stop! What the hell are you doing?” a figure shouted at me and tried pushing me away from the fire.

“What the hell are you doing?” I retorted, still trying to put out the fire.

“You are ruining my ritual!” she shouted.

“What?” I exclaimed, wondering if this chick was crazy.

Confirming my thoughts, as the last of the flames died out, the girl fell onto her knees and wailed.

NO! Do you know how hard it was to get a freaking eye of a griffin? Do you? DO YOU?” she shrieked at me.

After the shock of the fire wore out, I realized that this girl was Melanie Polterghast. Everyone knew to avoid her, not because she was mean, but because she was freakin’ weird. Last year, she flipped out because she thought one of the lunch ladies was fixing up some kind of potion to kill everyone. She yelled at people who got in her way in Latin, she tended to call upon the dark forces, and tried to curse a teacher.

Tu es fatua! Necabo!she shouted at me, looking crazed.

Oh God, is she cursing me?

Melanie’s attention shifted back to the ashes and charred grass. “Eheu,she said sullenly, suddenly looking very vulnerable. “Cur? Cur?she asked me.

I had no idea what she was saying so I just took a step back, just in case she really was putting a curse on me. “I should probably be getting to class now,” I said, trying to excuse myself.

Melanie was creeping me out now, especially with the way her eyes were narrowed, making them tiny little slits compared to her excessive use of eyeliner. Her black lips were set in a scowl.

“Fine, whatever. I don’t care,” she said flatly and started to gather the charred grass into a pile.

“You weren’t trying to blow up the school, were you?” I asked cautiously.

Though I didn’t believe in any witchcraft, summoning Cthulu, or whatever Melanie was into, I just wanted to make sure Melanie didn’t have any crazy plans to burn down the school.