Chapter 19 ~ Why?

Start from the beginning

And I could do nothing but sit here and hope with her.

He turned when I got silent, checking to make sure I was indeed still alive. "Broken that easily?" he said through a grin that rivaled the Cheshire Cat's on the creepy scale.

Pride prevented me from meeting his gaze. I just sat silent, not daring to move, for fear he would hurt Lucy further. The only sounds were Lucy's small sniffles and labored breathing. Cameron started to laugh; it grew louder and louder until he was hysterically cackling on the ground. Lucy and I met eyes, but didn't move. We were both dead inside now.

His guffaws soon died down, leaving Lucy and I open for the next raid of torture. But he surprised us. "Guards, take them back to the cell. I'm done for today. Be prepared for a busy day tomorrow, though," he turned his attention to Lucy, sticking his nose in her hair, "especially you, beautiful." He chuckled his way out the back door while guards grabbed us by our chains and walked us back to a cell. We were also, shockingly, in the same cell. Of course both of us were powerless.

They released our handcuffs from behind our backs and instead attached them to our ankles, which I preferred. I hated not having the use of my hands. Then they left, locking the cell door behind them.

I finally got a chance to glance at my surroundings, something I hadn't done in a while.

The walls were concrete bricks, moldy and beginning to crack in places, like my sanity. It was dingy and dark in the whole area, and the smell of blood was overwhelming. It took over my senses, rolling through my head into my stomach where it churned and boiled. An old barred window was in the wall about fifteen feet up, towards the top of the cell, and I regretted looking up. It was something from a fictional horror scene. Nooses hung loosely from the ceiling, most still had skeletons in them, dangling right above us. Blood was dried onto the ceiling, and now that I was looking, it was dried onto the wall as well, almost as if it was dripping down to drown us. Death was the only thing I could sense in the room, and I knew Lucy could sense it too.

She sat beside me, her shirt ripped, skirt covered hopelessly in crimson. Tears still stained her cheeks and her whole body was either drenched in blood or sweat. Her hair was down but matted with her own fluids in some places, and the rest was damp with her pain and fear. She was shivering violently, tears still threatening to pour from her eyes as she recovered from her traumatic experience. Her hands were in her lap and she desperately tried to pull her skirt down further. The happy blonde was a mess. A broken shell of a once happy girl.

And it was all my fault.

I had to help her. "Luce. Lucy look at me." A small shake of the head was all I got. "Please, Lucy." I gently lifted my hand and with a delicate touch, raised her chin so her eyes met mine. Her quiver was shaking my hand just barely touching her face. "Breathe, I will get us out of here, okay?" She said nothing, but spoke in actions. She pulled me against the wall, where she leaned back and patted the ground next to her. I crawled in next to her, and was shocked when she nuzzled her head on my shoulder. Her touch relaxed me, so I snaked my arm around her waist and pulled her closer to me. Blonde hairs brushed my arms when she curled into a little ball in my chest, her knees pulled up and head nested comfortably in my body. A small smile crept onto my face as I slipped my other arm around her body, fulling embracing her in my protection. I felt her smile and sigh. Her breathing evened; her heart rate slowed. She was finally calming down.

My chin rested on her head. "Luce?" She looked up at me, "I will protect you. Get some rest. I won't let them hurt you tonight."

Her eyelids drooped, but she managed a small smile before her head retreated into my warm chest, and fell into a well deserved sleep.