Chapter Two - Plotting

~~~~

Picture of Marley to the side made by the lovely and amazing 1olMichelle. Thank you! I love it so much :)

~~~~

Chapter Two - The Plan~

It felt like forever since I'd last snuck through the modest wooden fence separating Noah's and my houses.

         It wasn't that I had anything against the family or the house. I loved Aunt Grace and Uncle Matt; they were the nicest people I knew. And Noah's little sister Ella was the sweetest twelve-year-old I'd ever met. And the house was beautiful, just like ours: two storey with large shutters and elegant trellises and white Victorian trimming.

         I remember when I was six and they'd moved into the house behind us to be closer to my mom and dad; they were like teenagers, totally inseparable. I'd been so excited to hang out with them more. And it had worked perfectly for the first seven years.

And then, after the fight, things got awkward, and I almost never came around. Even when our families had our monthly barbecues. I always said I had dates with Logan or a study date or plans with friends.

I always felt bad about not coming around. Ella was always asking to see me and I missed Grace and Matt, but Noah had been a complete arrogant jerk, and I didn't want to spend any more time in his company than I absolutely had to; school was most definitely enough Noah-time for me.

But now I was back again, doing the same things I had done since I was seven. Going through the gates and climbing up the familiar, rickety wooden ladder into the tree house where Noah and I had agreed to meet to devise a plan.

When I finally made it to the top, I slid into the spacious tree house Matt and my dad had spent three months building when we were little kids during one summer. It had to be in Noah's backyard, because he had a large, stable elm tree that was perfect for a tree house.

Noah was already waiting for me, arms crossed over his broad chest as he arched an eyebrow expectantly. "You're panting already and you've only been in here with me for three seconds."

I rolled my eyes. "Knock it off, Noah. I'm winded from the ladder climb."

"That's even more pathetic."

"Hey! You of all people know I'm not good with exercise!" I defended, brushing my jeans and trying to keep as far away from Noah as was possible in the cramped space. Noah and I both knew I was terribly unfit and horrible when it came to keeping fit. It was lucky I had a fast metabolism, otherwise I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to fit into the tree house any more.

"It's ten rungs, not a mountain climb."

"Can we just get to the point of this visit?" I asked, eyeing the tree house warily. It still seemed in pretty good condition, and I couldn't see any rotting wood, but still.

He sighed. "You're going to have to be a lot nicer to me if you want me to do this."

I scowled harshly. "Go screw yourself."

He started to crawl to the door, dropping a nonchalant shrug. "Well, if you don't need my help..."

I grabbed the sleeve of his thin, black, cotton t-shirt desperately. "Wait, Noah. I'm sorry."

He sat back down, looking like the bird that got the early worm. I wanted nothing more than to slap it right off. "Okay, Marley. First, we need to figure out how to go about this."

I tucked my overgrown bangs behind my ear and leaned my head back against the wood, shutting my eyes and taking in a couple of deep yoga breaths. "I think we should start tomorrow at school."