Chapter Twenty-Four - The Daemon and The Sacrifice

Start from the beginning

'Because it can't,' George answered defiantly. 'Something's preventing it from just taking the stone.'

'He knows,' the Elven Captain mumbled.

'Knows what?'

'That the stone is protected by magic. Anyone stepping on the area surrounding the plinth will be destroyed.'

Anyone from the Faerie Races, the Daemon gurgled. You do not think this is the first time we have tried to obtain the Key. Down through the ages we have sent others—acolytes subverted by our sorceries—to try and attain it. All have been overcome by the wards put in place to protect it. But this new race, these Humans. They should be unaffected by the magic.

'So you thought you would use me to get the Key,' George shouted. 'But how do you know the magic won't kill me?'

I do not. But the warding spell was cast millennia ago. Humans represent a recent addition to this mudball.

The Daemon snaked closer—dragging the unconscious body of the Meriol with him—until he was almost within touching distance. It reared above them, poisonous slaver dripped from its mouth and splashed onto the cave floor next to their heads. Bringing up a talon it slashed at the Elven Captain. Malin threw himself sideways narrowly avoided being disembowelled. George rolled away and came up holding Frostfire. Taking care not to hit the Princess he triggered the magic and sent a burst at the Daemon. It screamed in anger and raised an armoured limb to deflect away the magic.

You have tested my patience for long enough. Now you will watch as your beloved princess dies.

The Daemon's tail whipped around Meriol's body and lifted her into the air. It dangled her in front of George and drew back its razor-sharp talons to deliver the killing blow.

Stryker threw himself into the battle; his weight caught the Daemon knocking him off balance. But the large dog's teeth and claws made little impact on the creatures armoured skin. It was too powerful, it grabbed Stryker and hurled him across the cavern. Luckily the dog managed to twist in mid-air and land unharmed. In moments he was back on his feet, shaken, but ready to attack again.

'Stryker no!' George screamed knowing the dog might not be so lucky next time.

George shifted his attention back to the Daemon. Suddenly it stiffened, and the fire left its eyes. A thin grey-green mist rose slowly rose behind it and thin skeletal fingers pressed either side of the creature's head. Magic sparked and crackled across the Daemons skull. The eyes turned opaque, and it collapsed to the floor.

— Leave this place now. I will not be able to hold the beast for long — A weak disembodied voice whispered in his head.

'Lachlan Torqe?' George heard Malin query. The Elf was obviously also hearing the voice. 

The voice spoke once more. — Yes, Captain, I am here. Take your companions and go, do not let me down —

'George, get Meriol,' Malin Thrax called out. 'Valen, Cadoc we have to leave.'

'But the Key...' George started to say.

'I have it,' Malin interrupted. 'There is no time to explain now.'

George was confused but carefully stepped around the creature and picked up Meriol. As he did so a massive shiver ran through the Daemon's body. It lurched upright fighting against the magical fires that must be causing it unbearable pain. George could see the ethereal figure of Lachlan Torqe circling above sending out bursts of rapidly weakening magic. He could also see the strain etched on the ghostly visage as it tried desperately to cling to this world and conjure enough power to slow the creature. But even has George watched, the Elven spirit began to shimmer and fade. He gently lifted Meriol — there was no time to worry about her injuries — his only thought was to get out of there before the Daemon could recover. George grasped her to him and ran.