John Ethel

Ella bent over and looked underneath the Honda Sedan. Wolf lay underneath. Ella kept hearing the noise she was very used to. It was the sound of a werewolf in wolf form changing back to a human.

The quiet, high-pitched ring caused Ella to cover her ears. Suddenly, the wolf wasn't a wolf anymore. It was John Ethel.

"Hello, Ella," said the young man to Ella. John Ethel was only in his late twenties, which promised a long time of him being the pack's leader. 

"John Ethel!" Ella whispered to herself. She never had seen John in human form before. He wore a black shirt with long sleeves. His navy blue jeans complimented the shirt and his dark brown hair. He wore shoes like Mr. Rook, but he wore a smaller size. 

Ella opened the door, welcoming Mr. Ethel into her home. They sat down at the table, Ella clearing her homework from the area. 

"I'll get my father!" Ella called, already halfway up the stairs. 

John Ethel looked around, making sure no one was around to hear him say to himself, "Ella needs to know the truth about Cory."

Once Ella and Mr. Rook sat down at the table, Mr. Ethel took a deep breath. "Ella," he said, placing his hands on the table. Snapping his fingers, a bowl of apples appeared in the center of the table. He grabbed an apple and took a large bite, a crunching noise in the air. "Cory, the boy you met, is the son of the recently widowed Ms. Month."

Mr. Rook gasped. Ella stared at Mr. Ethel, a confused expression on her face. "Who's that?"

Mr. Rook grabbed a Macintosh apple, took a bit, and explained who Ms. Month was. "Ms. Month studies monsters. She knows about our kind. About werewolves." Mr. Rook swallowed nervously. 

John nodded. "She knows the population of werewolves in each state."

Ella gasped. "So she knows where we are?!"

Mr. Rook and his friend shook their heads. "She just knows a number, not any names."

John reached for another apple. There were only a few left now. "But she might do so much research that she figures out."

Ella gasped again, standing up from her seat. "I have a plan!"

Ella's father and his friend showed an expression that Ella could tell she had their attention. She brushed her copper locks out of her face before explaining her idea. "If we distract her from thinking we are the werewolves! Convince her someone else is one!"

Mr. Rook and John smiled at what Ella had said. John stood up and walked over to Ella. "Where do we start?"