Chapter One

I'm just a lost boy not ready to be found.

--Lost Boy, Troye Sivan

Nate

AN: Flashbacks are in italicised letters

6 months later

There's a bra hanging off my bedside lamp.

With a sigh, I pick it up and throw it to the bed before buttoning up my pants. I look at my companion with annoyance.

"Why aren't you moving? Get up."

Clutching the blanket to her naked chest, she just rolls her eyes at me before looking at the ceiling.

"Can't we just stay here for a bit longer? I wanna cuddle." She pouts and now, it's my turn to roll my eyes. Not this again.

"Sophie, how many times do I have to repeat myself? No—"

"—Strings attached. Yeah, yeah I get it. I'm not dumb, Nate." She grumbles before sitting up on the bed and starts fastening her bra on.

"Could've fooled me." I mutter under my breath.

"Hurry up." She takes so long to get dressed. I could get ready in 5 minutes and she takes almost half an hour.

And unsurprisingly 30 minutes later, we're finally out of my apartment. I live in an apartment in the heart of Cambridge, Massachusetts; it is just a 5 minute drive from Harvard.

My acceptance letter into the university arrived last summer when I was holed up and miserable in my room.

When I got back from Greece, I was a complete wreck. I lived off of unhealthy take outs, my luxurious apartment back in New York turned into a dingy crypt.

Empty beer cans littered the floor, pizza boxes were strewn about and the only light in the room was the bluish glow of the television that I never turned off for weeks. All of the curtains were drawn, the door was kept shut—only opened when food arrived.

Eat—sleep—drink—pass out—wake up—repeat

That was how I lived for weeks.

But then the letter arrived and I decided to take it as a wake up call. So I got my shit together—I cleaned myself, my apartment and started packing.

I looked at my move to Cambridge as a new start—a clean slate.

But this time, I wouldn't make the same mistake I foolishly made. I trusted too easily, fell in love immediately and look at what it did to me: I have become this shell of a person with nothing but pain and anger inside me.

Hating is so much easier than hurting.

And I'm done hurting, I decided to hold on to this hatred that I feel and turn it into a high wall of self defence around myself. I wouldn't fall in love so easily any time now. I won't trust just anyone so easily any time now.