Dressing Rooms & Misconceptions

Start from the beginning

I roll my eyes.

But is it really that easy to see?

The bell rings for class and Luke pushes himself off the lockers. "One more thing," He says before walking off to class. "You didn't deny the fact that you were thinking about her."

❁ ❁ ❁

"So how are you liking Lincoln High?"

I glance over and look at Grace, how is staring out the window as we drive across town. Her eyes meet mine and I look away.

"I like it a lot," I reply, focusing on the road, even though I just want to look back over at her. "The people are nice enough."

"Some of them," I hear her sigh. "How are you doing in calculus lately?"

I chuckle. "Holding up best I can, I guess. Math is not fun."

"Oh come on, it can be a little fun." Grace contradicts.

"Not at all. Math is a useless concept created by some old guy in a cave because he wanted to know how many dinosaurs there were in his backyard." I complain, flipping my turn signal on and rounding another street.

I can practically feel Grace rolling her eyes at me. "Math was first recorded by the Egyptians, thank you very much. And mathematics are an essential tool for life. We would be no where without them, Isaac."

I look over at her, her green eyes challenging mine. "The day I enjoy math class is the day I learn how to drive correctly."

As if on cue, one of the tires hits a curb, causing Grace to bounce in her seat. She grabs onto the handle on the roof of the car bracingly.

"Please focus on the road." She says, laughing a bit.

"My bad."

❁ ❁ ❁

A short amount of time later, I finally pull the car into the parking lot of the large department store on Main Street, hopping out and rushing over to open the door for Grace, frowning to see she is already leaning against the closed car door.

"Beat you to it." She smirks.

"How are you so fast?" I shake my head.

"Come on, let's go in." She grabs my hand, my eyes widening for a second before she pulls me across the lot and through the doors of the store. She practically skips across the tile floors to the dress section and I take a seat on a bench outside the fitting rooms, watching as Grace loses herself in searching the dress racks.

"Can I help you find anything today, sir?" An employee walks over to me, giving me a raised eyebrow. My cheeks flush.

"Oh, no, I'm here with my-friend," I say, nodding towards Grace as she admires a red dress.

She laughs. "Oh okay. If she needs any help, I'm available." She walks away, leaving me awkwardly sitting there. I can't believe a woman thought I was buying a dress. If Mia was here, she'd be on the floor in hysteric laughs.

Grace folds another dress over her arm and looks at the size tag of another one. A permanent smile is plastered on her face, her eyes wild with excitement, and it causes me to believe that she never treats herself like this. It's like watching a young girl pick out a new toy for their birthday.