Chapter One- Bargaining

My mother always said that the rich aren't to be trusted. That they're pompous and only care about their own well-being. And in all the times someone rich came to our store, it only proved right.

Two years ago a man wearing a suit came in asking for an armoire. I was only fifteen and he made me carry out to his car, saying that he couldn't ruin his suit and that he had a meeting. Since that day, I've believed everything she ever said about them. Pompous, arrogant, and selfish.

Just thinking about it got me angry as I pushed down hard on the towel I was using to clean the counter. As I watched my hand move the towel across the dark granite the bell to the front door ring out. I perked my head up and plastered on a smile, because as we all know, smiles sell.

As I looked up, I noticed a boy who only appeared to be a bit older than me. He had tousled light brown hair, which was thick and lustrous. His eyes were a pale blue. His face was strong and defined, his features molded from granite. The epitome of perfection most would say. To me, well, he looked like the son of a rich man.

"Hello there, welcome to Phoenix Antiques is there anything I can help you with?" I smiled, turning my head slightly. He shifted his eyes around the store quickly.

"Do you have a royal five typewriter?" He asked.

"A royal five?" I thought for a moment. "Let me check in the back."

"Take your time." He nodded.

I put down the towel under the desk and walked around to the back of the store. A royal five can be a rare one. They can go from two hundred to over a thousand dollars easily. Of course, that's only in rare case, but that would mean he'd have a good amount of money. And as my mother has always taught me, use the rich to your advantage.

I went to the back room where we held our best antiques. Rare books, typewriters, and other small statues and appliances. I knew my mom put in a special order a month ago, maybe there was a royal five.

As I maneuvered through the clutter, I noticed the box in the corner. Perfect! I stepped over and opened it, revealing an old royal five. It was covered in dust, but seemed to be in working condition. Although it seemed like it had taken a beating during it's life time. So that only docked the price. If I'm lucky, I can get 400 dollars out of this guy.

I pick up the box and maneuvered back over to the main show room. The boy was standing over one of our displays. Jewelry boxes and necklaces lined the case, so it's always a seller. Even better if this guy is interested.

"Here you go, a royal five. I estimate this at about 500 dollars." Who says I had to be honest? I'm just securing 400 bucks.

"500 huh?" He asks, looking up from the jewelry. "Are you willing to dock the price?"

"Depends." I said with a smirk. Just as I planned. I ran my fingers along the edge of the cardboard box. "What's your price?"

"How's 450?"

This guy was easy. An even better deal than I intended. "I guess it's a good deal." I shrugged. "Say, are you interested in one of our jewelry pieces?"

He looked back down at the display. "Do you have anything that says... Forever?" He asked.

"I guess that depends on the lucky lady sir." I said. "If you were to ask me, that necklace right there is a nice one." I pointed down to a necklace with a large key with a lock in it.

He looked up at me as I looked down. "How much?"

"That one's only thirty dollars." I said. "A newer one than the rest, but in my opinion my favorite."

"Can I look at it?" He asked.

"I guess that's acceptable." I nodded and dug into my pocket, pulling out my set of keys and unlocking the display case.

I lifted the glass and took hold of the chain of the necklace and lifted it out of the box. The key itself was simple. A skeleton key, the top carved into a heart with a flowing pattern filling the inside than wrapping around the side as vines. It was beautiful yet simple, not many have even noticed it.

"Until sale is made the customer can't touch the product. It's store policy." I explained, showing him the key that laid in my palm.

"Only thirty?" He asked, turning his head examining it.

"Yes. Would you like to by it or-"

"No." He said solemnly. "Can I pay in cash for the typewriter?" He asked, reaching into his pocket.

I felt a bit disappointed for a moment and frowned, but then nearly immediately returning back to my smiling. "Of course sir. Give me a moment." I opened the case again, put away the necklace and locked it, then turned back to the man who looked inside of the box from earlier.

"It looks damaged." He said.

"Only slight exterior damage. The entire mechanism runs like new, and with some paint it should be fixed right up." I said cheerfully.

"I guess that's alright." He shrugged. He didn't seem to have much of a personality. Fairly... Plain and boring.

"So that would be 450 sir." I said looking back stood the counter and behind the register.

He put money down on the counter. "Keep the change." He took the box and left before I even had time to say anything.

I looked down at the money he left. Five 100 dollar bills.

And that's chapter one! I hope you like it. I'm sorry for taking so long to do this, but we all kinda hit a brick wall while writing and I want to thank you all for staying with us during that time.
So for now, I how you enjoyed and I hope you have a great day.
Bye!!

~ Vicky (llVickyll)