Round 8 (Final) → Skinny Love by Bon Ives

It has never been easy for her. At first, she was that normal kind of human. Well, she was a fancied girl who just finished school. But she was already happy with a guy called ... well, let us call him Kyle to cover his real name. I obviously didn't like him and he didn't like me. Her future plans were huge but I was sure that she can achieve everything if she only holds on.

Then a couple of years later, when she was studying, her parents died after the lied in coma for two years. I'm sure you all know about that car accident they were involved in. She never stopped sorrowing but she kept saying that it was all her fault and that's why her live changed completely. In the beginning, I didn't realise it because she was a brilliant actress. Of course I found out what wrong with her, so I called her several times. But as she weren't answering, I drove to the apartment that she and Kyle were living in. She had given me keys for emergencies and I thought that this is one. I unlocked the front door of the apartment when I heard kind of screaming noises that were coming from above. I ran upstairs and as I reached the door where the screams were coming from, I knew something must be wrong because it was her flat.

I unlocked the door as fast as possible, ran to the flat to where the screams came from and crashed into a scene that my head will never forget. Kyle was holding her hair but as soon as he saw me, he let go and walked to me. I recognised the rage in his eyes and I knew that this could end up really bad. So I jumped next door into the kitchen and grabbed the bottle of glass and smashed it on his head. Immediately he lost his conscience. I walked past his body that sank down to the bottom and made my way back to the bathroom.

It was a mess, crushed veneers, a broken mirror and shampoo bottles were lying around. In the middle of the mess, she was just standing there, starring into this sink that was covered with blood, her blood as I turned her. She was under shock. I told her to follow me and that she'll be ok. Back in my car, I called the police and told them what happened and where I take her now.

A couple of day later she finally started speaking again. Her voice was silent and weak but at least, she started telling me that she needed that last year of love with him but I didn't understand until she explains that after her parents died, she had a lot of debts to pay off. She only had to marry him and she would have gotten a lot of money. That's what Kyle promised her. But as I told before, in my opinion that man in an absolute fail with no respect for a human being.

He was arrested until the process. She was scared of that day. But I helped her to get ready and I told her that I'll be there too. That moment, she hugged me and I realised how skinny she became. She looked like a skeleton. But I said nothing. I didn't want to make this day even worse.

After the process, he stared screaming at her. "You're ugly! You are going to die all alone in a small and dirty flat. That's what you deserve." She stepped behind me while the police officers tried to calm him but he carried on. "So tell me, who will love you? Who will fight that dirty money thing for you?" I grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the building.

She sighed. "He's right. Who will love me? Who will eve-" "Don't!" I interrupted her. "Just because an asshole as he is says something like this, doesn't mean that it is true. Maybe all the love is wasted, but I tell you to be patient, I tell you to be kind. Then you will find someone else. Then you'll be fine." I pulled her into a hug.

Then the police officers came out with Kyle. "I'll be with you as soon as I'm free. Let it be tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, in a week. But guess what, for what you've done to me, you will pay. Nothing will be the same from now." With an ugly grin he was pushed into the car.

A week later I asked her about her weight and she told be that she's ill but that's all I got to know. She didn't want me to worry so she added with a smile: "You can call me 'Skinny Love' if you want to."

A year later, Kyle was still living imprisoned. She had the idea to go rock climbing and I agreed because she is still not over her awful past. It has been a beautiful day. The sun was warming up the earth and we went rock climbing. It could have been a beautiful day until the end if it hadn't happen. We were up on a hill, when she pulled out something that reflected the sun into my eyes so I couldn't see it. The she mumbled some words that didn't make sense. Then she started cutting the ropes and I couldn't help but watching her fall. Even if I tried, there was no chance to reach her before she falls down. I cold shiver runs over my skin as I saw her lying down on the hard ground. I've lost her for ever.

A week later I was sitting in the first row. The row that was the closest to her dead body and only her sister was sitting in the first row as well. Then a lovely soft voice started singing:

"Come on skinny love just last the year. Pour a little salt we were never here."

A day after her death I texted my best friend and singer Bon Ives.

"And I told you to be patient. And I told you to be fine."

I wanted to keep her in the world by writing a song about her.

"And in the morning I'll be with you. But it will be a different kind."

And just two days later we had that song finished.

♪"Now all your love is wasted. Who the hell was I?"

But unfortunately, he can't he here tonight so he gave me the number of another singer.

"Who will love you? Who will fight? And who will fall far behind?"

She's called Birdy and she took the job.

"My my my, my my my, my-my-my my-my... Sullen load is full, so slow on the split."

And she did a great job.

Skinny Love by Bon Ives