Chapter 1: Discovering Liam Pierce

I'm trying hard to keep me cool as I walk through the open door of first class of the day. As I walk in, everyone turns and stares; they were all at the party last night. Long story short I threw up on some kid that goes to our school. He just ran out of the house before I could say anything, and everyone was laughing. My anxiety is killing me as I take my seat in the back of class. Then, the most popular girl in school, Leah, sits next to me, "Hey, last night that was pretty cool. I mean it was kind of embarrassing that you threw up, but that kid totally deserved to get puked on. He's a total freak. That's why we were all laughing; it wasn't because of you." I just smiled at her in return. My fear of being made fun of completely disappeared.

A couple hours later it was finally time for lunch. I made my way slowly toward my table, and everyone was so happy that I embarrassed that kid. "Life in high school couldn't have been going any better," I thought to myself. That's when I turned around to see the whole football team surrounding the kid from the party; I tried to ignore it but just had to see what they were saying. I took a few steps closer to the fight, and the quarterback punched him right in the gut. He kept hitting him, and screamed "go to hell you freak!" I wanted to stop it, but I couldn't bring myself to do anything. Blood fell from the kid's nose, and tears started to form in his eyes.

The bell rang and everyone left except the kid, so I stayed behind too. "Hey." I whispered bending down to help him up. He looked up at me, and a few stray tears fell from his face, "Just leave me alone, okay? It's bad enough you drew more attention to me at the party; I don't need your help." I thought about leaving, but I couldn't knowing this was sort of my fault. "I know you don't want my help, but can you at least tell me your name?" He examined me before speaking again, "My name is Liam Pierce. It's not that I don't want your help, but you can't help me."

"I can try. Liam, I don't know why they pick on you, but things will get better if you just let me be your friend." That was when I gave up my reputation as a popular girl. I had always tried to fit in with them, but something in Liam's eyes told me it wasn't worth it. I could tell he wasn't sure about me, and I wasn't to sure about him. "I'm warning you now that you don't want to be my friend. I don't even know you." I helped him off the ground, and I watched as he limped a little farther away from me. "My name is Cassie by the way," I called after him. He turned around and smiled at me as I walked away.

When I was leaving school, I saw him get into his blue beat-up car, and I felt like I needed to prove that I actually wanted to be his friend. I walked up to his car and waved. "Hey, Liam. Do you want to go get coffee? I want to go, but all of my friends bailed, and you are the only one I haven't asked." He raised an eyebrow at me but went along with it. "Right now?" "Yeah, will you go with me?" Liam nodded his head toward the passenger seat of his car signaling for me to get in.