1000+1

"Wait a moment, Pete, are you trying to tell me that one thousand are enough?"

"According to Susan's latest calculations, yes. This means less mass to transport, less fuel needed, and maximised range. The ship will be able to reach Kepler-186f in due time."

I stare at the simulation without seeing, my mind processing fast. It's 490 light years from Earth to Kepler-186f. If we are going to build a generation-ship, we will have to ensure that the far removed descendants of the original crew and passengers one day reach their destination. This calls for serious planning. Up until now, there was no way to build a ship able to contain a population big enough to guarantee survival and genetical fitness on the long haul. But one thousand ... Suddenly it seems feasible.

~

"Ladies and gentlemen, we finally got the go from the highest places. With the financial backing for planning and construction agreed on, one day, very soon, we are going to see this ship take off. All members of the original team are invited to follow up their calculations. Additionally, we will be working from now on with the construction engineers of Aeronaut inc. This is a historical step on our way to the stars."

I join into the enthusiastic clapping at the end of the speech. Becca leans closer to ask me a question.

"Does this mean you still have a job with this project?"

"Yes, me and the others from the very beginning, Pete, Susan and the twins, we will design a ship that carries us to the stars!"

"Us?"

"Well, one thousand humans that are willing to leave earth and travel to Kepler-186f, an earth-like planet 490 light years away."

"This seems a very long way to travel."

"It is. The original crew will be long gone when their descendants reach their destination."

While Becca studies the blueprints with a thoughtful expression, I wonder what goes on behind those beautiful grey eyes.

~

"Walt, where have you been? Dinner is getting cold."

"Sorry, Becca. We finally found the solution for the gravity issue. Everybody was so excited, I forgot time."

"Really? Does this mean you are going to build the ship?"

"Becca, I shouldn't tell you as it is still classified, but yes, construction actually commenced two years ago. Hopefully, the ship will take off in another two years."

Her eyes light up with hope. I know exactly what crosses her mind in this moment, and I immediately regret telling her.

~

"Walt, do you realise that on the ship, we will be able to have children, after all? Our dream will come true, at last."

"Yes, my dear. But childbearing will have to be closely monitored, you know."

"I don't mind. As long as we are able to have a true family of our own. It's everything I ever wanted. It will be just perfect."

I hold her in my arms, listening to her relaxed breathing, content that she is happy. The ship will be finished next month.

~

"...and with great joy I name this ship '1001 nights'. This ship, the very first of its kind, that we trust will carry human hope, human civilisation and human dreams out into deep space."

Madam President cuts the ribbon and a bottle of expensive champagne shatters on the giant hull.

It took us seven years to get to this point. Seven years of ups and downs, of days passed with calculations and nights searching for errors. But when I watch the ship and Becca's smiling face, it seems all worthwhile. She leans into my side, holding unto my arm with shining eyes.

~

"Well, that's it, Walt. Time to say good bye. Are you still sure you want to do this? You can stay here, you know. There is a lot of work still to be done. We might even build another, better ship in time. Specialists on human habitat and population dynamics are rare, as you know. You left a mark, here."

"I know, Susan. But Becca wants to go. She wants to have children. She's talking about nothing else. She's young and healthy, but you know as well as I do that here on earth she will never be allowed to reproduce."

Susan nods, understanding. I'm glad she drops the topic. Some of us are more affected by the strict measures against overpopulation than others. Becca will never be allowed to bear children on earth. Her mixed ancestry is not what the governmental population managers favour. And some day, soon, she will inevitably be ruled out as too old. On the ship, this will be entirely different. There, diversity is an obligation. The genetical pool must be as big as possible to guarantee the mission's success.

~

I watch Becca's sleeping face. We left the solar system yesterday. She is so young and beautiful. Young enough to fulfil her dearest wish, to bear and raise children, to contribute to the human dream this ship carries towards the stars. I love her so much.

Today, I'm glad that I never told her the bitter truth. I've known for a long time that I am sterile, not able to produce any children. But there are others, men that are better suited to father Becca's offspring. The computer carries the genetical information of each and every passenger.

I kiss her softly before I leave and start following the curving corridor along the outer hull towards the brand new medical station. Tonight, the first child of this small community will be born. The population of '1001 nights' will amount to exactly one thousand and one for a few minutes. One too many.

As the oldest on board, it's my right to name the baby that will take my place, to hold it in my arms for a few moments, before the poison hits, establishing a mandatory tradition of this voyage.

The ship is built to take exactly one thousand humans to their destination among the stars. Not more.