Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Mandy watched Akkadi’s mother leave, feeling the loss more than she expected. By the way Helen spoke, Mandy almost thought she was another human from her time. The serene woman had appeared borderline ecstatic to meet her, despite Akkadi’s attempt to dull her enthusiasm. Besides, who else in this time would know anything at all about California?

Akkadi glanced towards her, away then back when he saw her watching him.

“I need my rest,” he said. “Don’t disturb me.”

She sighed, not impressed by his blunt commands. For a few moments when he held her, he’d been approachable, sweet, the way he was when they met. Now he was back to himself.

He stripped off his shirt and tossed it beside the round bed before lying down. Mandy’s gaze swept over his muscular frame. He had the body of a soccer player, lean and ripped, from his wide shoulders to the ridges of his abs. His trousers were slung low on his hips, revealing the ridges of muscles gripping his hips as well. He folded his arms beneath his head, oblivious to her inspection or how the position showed off the rounded muscles of his shoulders and thick biceps.

She’d felt how solid and strong he was with his arms wrapped around her; seeing it was even more of a turn on. She fanned herself. He had the body of Roman god. If only he didn’t have the personality of a space Twinkie …

Mandy shook her head. She felt the sudden need for fresh air and lamented briefly over the fact there was no such thing anymore.

Akkadi’s breathing deepened, indicating he had fallen asleep.

Mandy eyed the door his mother had exited. She approached it and stuck one hand through it to make sure it wasn’t solid. The door was open. A robed and hooded, ten-foot tall guard stood in the antechamber. Mandy tensed, waiting for him to alert his master or stop her.

He did neither. She stepped from the antechamber into the corridor, looking at the lighted walkway anew. How many of the paneled walls were entrances into other quarters? Did any of the doors lead straight into space?

She chose a direction and began walking. Half a dozen feet down the corridor, she froze at the sudden realization she had no idea how to tell Akkadi’s door from anyone else’s. She turned around, unable to recognize which paneled wall was the one she went through to get back to Akkadi’s quarters.

Not that she wanted to go back, she told herself, angry with the inhospitable alien who wasn’t willing to open a star gate. With some trepidation, she began walking again. She felt lost the moment she left Akkadi and wished she knew what it was about the frustrating man that made the world seem less scary.

There were no markers on the walls to indicate which panels were doors and which were walls. Confused, she continued walking, hoping to find a map or signs or something that would tell her where she was and what her options were to escape. She passed a few people in robes and hoods while others wore the same grey uniform she did. They ignored her.

She walked for half an hour then stopped again. There were no intersections or signs or even an end to the bizarre hallway. It reminded her of being in a Fun House at a carnival, where mirrors were used to distort the distances and appearances of everything around. There were no mirrors here, and it was definitely not a carnival.

Mandy turned around completely with a frustrated sigh. She approached one wall and reached out to a panel. This one was closed. She moved to the next. It, too, was inaccessible. On the third try, she found a door and stepped through, entering someone’s quarters. It was vacant of aliens and small, nowhere near the size of Akkadi’s rooms.