It was that warmth – clearly a sign of human emotion – that made him take a step back and realize what it meant to be with a human like Mandy. It meant he couldn’t be Naki, and being Naki was all he had ever striven to be.

His attention slid back to Hichele. He wasn’t sure how he should regard her, but even basic attraction would be tough with a bride like this. He didn’t want to feel the connection he did with Mandy, and he was certain he could never return Hichele’s apparent happiness about their future together. He took no pleasure in accepting her as his wife. In fact, he felt nothing towards her.

It was beyond her plain looks, though, that kept him from wanting to accept her earlier, for her family was marked by controversy. There were rumblings of deals made to keep her and her sisters from arranged marriages, as was customary for Naki elite. Instead, their wealthy father was said to have paid his way onto the advisory council of Akkadi’s father and use his influence to marry off his daughters to the highest-ranking Nakis he could. Akkadi ignored these rumors; his father ran the same kind of interference for Akkadi’s four sisters, bucking tradition. They were exempt from arranged marriages, waiting instead to discover humans purebred enough to keep their bloodline healthy.

Darker rumors spoke of an intent by Hichele’s family to overthrow the ruling Naki. Akkadi listened to these mutterings, albeit skeptically. His father was smart enough to see what most could not and would never allow it to happen.

The woman beside him was from a wealthy, respected family, one that had tried to marry into the Naki ruling family for generations. He should at least be pleased.

“You understand your duty,” he said. “Produce an heir and raise him or her to the standards of our people.”

“Of course, my prince.”

“Your station will not be an easy one. My mother and sisters spend many days negotiating treaties and representing the noble family to other races and galaxies. They travel a great deal.”

“I will strive to execute my duties with their grace and diplomacy,” Hichele said.

“She will meet with you tomorrow and begin the introductions and instruction of customs that will be required for your new station,” he said. “It is customary for the ceremony to occur three months after the betrothal. I trust this is enough time for your family to prepare.”

“Yes, my prince.”

“Very well.” He said and faced her. “Give your father my most respectful regards.”

Her face glowed. She bowed again and walked away.

Akkadi watched her go, aware that he did feel something towards her after all, and it wasn’t what he expected. Hichele said and acted the right way and understood that Nakis valued duty over everything else. As co-leaders, the mates of Naki elite carried numerous responsibilities like the Naki nobles they married. Mates were chosen as much for their bloodlines as their ability to handle difficult negotiations and think on their feet. He should’ve viewed Hichele – largely regarded for her shrewd intellect – as perfect.

But he was dissatisfied instead.

Restless, Akkadi returned to his quarters to find the human awake. She stood before the windows, staring at what was left of her planet after thousands of years at war. His gaze went over her body. A familiar stirring that marked desire spread through him. While he’d never taken a mate, he’d taken consorts to bed. He’d had the choice of any Naki daughter he wanted, and he partook when he felt the need.

The exotic woman in his quarters, though, was something different. She’d be physically compatible with him in the way very few Nakis were. From her large breasts, small waist and rounded hips to her trim body and flawless features, she was the ideal bedmate. Her long blonde hair hung down her back in an unruly display no Naki woman would permit but which he found unusually appealing. Everything about her stirred his interest.