Chapter 5: A Queen's Gambit

Start from the beginning

The men with weapons fanned out. She didn’t enjoy being on the business end of the rifles, so she would fix that first. Kicking the closet barrel up into the ceiling, the man squeezed off a volley that nearly deafened her. With her ears ringing, she threw the rifle across the room.

Sabrina rolled left and curled up, lunging at the closest man. She drove her knife into his throat with a spurt of blood across her helmet. Spinning him around by the hilt of her knife, bullets thudded into his body causing it to jerk several times. Guess they weren’t too worried about friendly fire. As the guns clicked empty, she grabbed the tomahawk from his belt and ripped the knife from his throat with a new gush of crimson. The men fumbled with reloading their rifles and the one with the pipe threw his rifle aside and rushed forward, pipe in hand. Sabrina caught the pipe on the  grip of tomahawk and spun it down, slamming it into the ground. There was a sickening crack as she stomped down on the man’s wrist and she slashed the tomahawk across his throat to silence his scream. Without stopping, she turned and threw the tomahawk at the man with the baseball bat. The spike on the back impaled him in the Adams apple. A chain wrapped around her neck and yanked back. As pressure grew on her neck, she entangled her fingers in the chain, dropping to a knee and pulling down. She rolled the man over her shoulder and threw him to the ground. He lay dazed, allowing her to grab the mask and smash his head into ground hard enough for her to hear an audible crack. His eyes rolled back in his head and she stood turned back to the unarmed man.

"My, my, you are a new experience for me,” he said. “I've never had a Pawn fight this much. So, you must be a Knight. I am really going to enjoy this.” He removed his hand from his pocket and flicked it down. A metal truncheon extended down with a hiss and the end began to crackle with electricity.

Sabrina brought her fists up and dropped back into a balanced fighting stance, bouncing back and forth on the balls of her feet. She slid just out of the reach of his electrified truncheon and returned with a lightening quick kick to the stomach. Her foot met solid resistance and he didn’t react.

“Oh fuck,” she breathed as he brought the truncheon down on her temple. The electricity scrambled the electronics in her helmet and blow sent her to the floor. Her ears still rang from the earlier shots. Her readouts were on the fritz, covering the viewing screen and distracting her throbbing brain. The man began to laugh and knelt down, placing his knee on her stomach. His hand touched her chest and began to make its way down, pausing for a moment on her breasts.

“You are by far the most striking Knight I have ever met sweetie,” he said and traced her neck. “Let’s just keep this between us.” He pulled her helmet off, the mask disconnecting from the helmet and switching to the suits reserves.

Sabrina brought her hands down over his ears with as much force as she could. He instantly recoiled, grabbing his head and sitting back from her. Hooking her leg up, she caught him by the throat and threw him to the ground. Hooking her ankles together, she locked his neck in between her ankles and with a swift jerk with her right leg, his neck broke like a toothpick.

"Not a Knight," Sabrina growled. "A Queen. Thanks for the party.” She replaced her helmet onto her head and smacked the side of it a few times to get the readouts working again. She grabbed the tomahawk from the mans throat. It came loose with a wet pop and a gurgle of blood. She wiped the blood on her thigh and slung her backpack off. Pulling the wrap from her medkit out, she wrapped the tomahawk’s blade up stuck it in the backpack, the handle poke out over her shoulder. She called her hoverboard and it came over just barely skating over the ice.

"Your magnetic toys won't work down here,” a voice called out. “The ice is too thick and the metal isn't magnetic.”

Sabrina spun around and grabbed her pistol. She aimed it at a bundled up person standing in a doorway across the alley. The voice told her that it belonged to a man.