Chapter Three

Walking into the small classroom I found a seat near the back of the class. I figured everyone else would come in with friends and have places they wanted to sit already. If I sat in the back at least I wouldn’t be in anyone’s way. It wasn’t long before people started streaming into the room. As I had predicted people walked into the class in pairs and groups. Just as I was getting ready to put my head down, as to not draw attention, a group of girls caught my eye.

The first thing I noticed, they were all absolutely beautiful. And I don’t just mean “She has a pretty face.” I mean more than super model beautiful. They were all a good three or four inches taller than me. They moved together and with every movement confidence seemed to ooze. I don’t know if people realized it or not but as they walked through the room, people just parted. They carved a clear path through the room, not bothering to pay anyone a second glance. To say that they were intimidating would have been the biggest understatement of the year.

The path that they made ended with them sitting right next to me. Once they were closer it was easier to see them. There was no doubt that the clothes they were wearing were high end and expensive. Their jean alone probably cost more than a whole months pay at my last job. I couldn’t help but look down at my outfit and feel awful. The one sitting closest to me must have finally realized that I was sitting beside her, because she turned away from her friends to look at me. The first thing I noticed about her was her eyes. They were a brilliant sapphire color and were an amazing contrast to her dark auburn hair. It fell in loose curls around her heart shaped face. She had a natural tan color to her complexion that immediately made me jealous. From what I could see, she was a-lister material. She was the type of girl that they boys would drool for. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that all of her perfectness put me on high alert. I have never met anyone that amazingly ideal with the a personality to match. I felt like I sat there underneath her penetrating gaze for forever. It made me squirm uncomfortable and all I wanted to do was run out of the door. I felt as if she was picking out every little flaw that I had. I felt like she was looking at my split ends, how my clothes weren’t designer brand, or how my complexion was too white. Slowly and tentatively I gave her a small smile. What I wasn’t expecting was for her to actually give me a smile back. And not just any smile, but a bright warm filled one. I was even more surprised to see her stick out her perfectly manicured, French tipped hand towards me.

“Hi. I’m Leah,” she said in a bubbly, fun laced voice.

“Ummm, hi. I’m Chloe.”

“I’m guessing you’re new around campus?” she asked.

Oh great. Do I really stick out that much? “Yeah. How did you know?” I asked.

“Small campus. And when you’ve been here four years like I have you tend to remember faces,” she said like it was no big deal.

“Oh,” I said. “So you must be a senior then?”

“Yup,” she said popping the ‘p’. “Majoring in social services.” I was a bit surprised. I never would have suspected that a girl as charming and well endowed financially as she was, because let’s face it her purse was a real Coach, would be concerned about the lives of others. Call me stereotypical I guess.  “What about you?” she asked.

“Education.”

“So you wanna teach, huh?” I nodded. “What grade?”

“Little kids. Elementary mainly. “

“That’s pretty cool.” As if she just remembered her other friends she said, “Oh these are my friends Lei Enloe and Mahala Kruse.”

Lei reached across Leah and shook my hand. She was just as pretty. Her midnight black hair was in a cute ponytail with her bangs hanging in her deep brown eyes. Her smile was so inciting and made me feel relaxed. “Hi,” she said.