"Did he just interrupt me?" Elinor glowers. "NO ONE INTERRUPTS ME, I AM-"

"Shut up," I laugh, pulling her down, "it's your turn."

And within five minutes, the class has sunk back into its usual torpor and we're back to playing hangman.

*

"I always knew Salazar Slytherin was a twisted loony," Ron tells us, as we fight our way through the teeming corridors at the end of the lesson to drop our bags off before dinner. "But I never knew he started all this pure-blood stuff. I wouldn't be in his house if you paid me. Honestly, if the Sorting Hat had tried to put me in Slytherin, I'd've got the train straight back home ..."

Trying to bite back my anger I breathe in deeply, glancing over at Harry who looks very pale. Harry told me months ago that he almost got put in Slytherin, and was scared that he shouldn't be in Gryffindor, which I immediately told him was a stupid idea.

Hermione nods fervently but I glare at him.

"Hey, if you remember I fit into all the houses," I hiss, "and I easily could have chosen that house. Not all Slytherins are dicks, I happen to know some nice Slytherins, so don't you dare be so prejudice Ronald Weasley."

I breathe heavily and glare at the shocked looks on my friends faces.

"And on that note, I need to pee," Maya says, pulling Elinor along after her.

"WE'LL MEET YOU AT DINNER," Elinor yells over the crowd.

"Why -?" Hermione asks.

"Maya doesn't like going to the bathroom on her own," I mutter, then sigh. "I'm sorry for snapping."

"S'ok," Ron says, ears turning pink.

As we are shunted along in the throng, Colin Creevey goes past.

"Hiya, Harry, Emily!"

"Hullo, Colin," says Harry automatically.

"Hey," I smile weakly.

"Harry - Emily - a boy in my class has been saying one of you is -"

But Colin is so small he can't fight against the tide of people bearing him towards the Great Hall; I hear him squeak, "See you!" and he's gone.

"What's a boy in his class saying about you two?" Hermione wonders.

"That one of us is the heir of Slytherin, I expect," I say remembering the way Justin had run away from us at lunch.

"People here'll believe anything," says Ron in disgust.

The crowd thins and we are able to climb the next staircase without difficulty.

"D'you really think there's a Chamber of Secrets?" Harry asks Hermione.

"I don't know, "she says, frowning. "Dumbledore couldn't cure Mrs Norris, and that makes me think that whatever attacked him might not be - well - human. "

As she speaks, we turn a corner and find ourselves at the end of the very corridor where the attack had happened. We stop and look. The scene is just as it was that night except there was no stiff cat hanging from the torch bracket, and an empty chair stands against the wall bearing the message 'The Chamber has been opened.'

"That's where Filch has been keeping guard," Ron mutters.

We look at each other. The corridor is deserted.

"Can't hurt to have a poke around," I grin, dropping my bag and getting to my hands and knees so that I can crawl along, searching for clues. I ninja roll along the floor, coughing as dust gets up my nose.