Chapter Four: Brontide

Start from the beginning

An assassin.

Not in need of any further information, I surged into action. I flicked my dagger at the apparent foe, slipping another from my vambrace when my blade was evaded. In the same moment, Legolas rose to a crouch and lunged forward, arms wrapping around the attacker's legs. The two went sprawling, as I reached for the assassin's cloak.

As soon as I had confirmation that Legolas was untouched by the assassin's blade—a fierce burning in his eyes meeting my searching gaze—I gripped the assassin's shoulder, pressing my knife to his back as I pulled him to his feet.

"What is your name and purpose?" I hissed, gripping his hands behind him.

Legolas stood just to my left, breath evening even as he stepped closer to the assassin.

Defiant, the assassin struggled against me and I tightened my grip. "Never mind your cooperation. Your identity can be revealed easily enough."

Legolas nodded at my insinuation, reaching for the assassin's hood.  But before his hand could touch upon it, the assassin jerked his head back, an unexpected power behind the movement. It was a novice mistake on my part, for my grip loosened and the assassin was loose. He lurched away and Legolas' attempt to grab him fell just a finger's breadth short of regaining a hold upon him.

The assassin swung his knife blindly. He was no longer aiming to kill, but instead to escape. I put a hand in front of Legolas, attempting to ward him from pursuit, but he payed the action no mind, darting after the assassin. I cursed under my breath, a step behind Legolas who was half a step behind the attacker.

For a heartbeat, I thought we were to detain the hooded figure again, but another novice mistake was made—this time by a novice. Unbeknownst to me, Earandur has joined the conflict of his own accord. He ran just beside Legolas.

Somehow I wished it might be otherwise.

We all ran—footsteps uncharacteristically loud upon the hard ground—and then Earandur spoke. "I've got him!"

And though I acted quickly, it would never have been fast enough. Instead of continuing the chase, Earandur dove for the attacker, much like Legolas had just minutes before except—he missed.

If the situation weren't so dire, I might have allowed myself to sigh.

Legolas attempted to stop himself from colliding with Earandur's prone form, only managing to decrease the force of contact between himself, Earandur, and the floor. In turn, I did the same but with the half a step more I had to react I managed to half leap over them. Unfortunately for us all, my foot caught on Legolas's arm. My shoulder hit the ground and, as I rolled, my head came up. There was no one in sight. My feet back under me, I sped to the end of the hall, glancing left and right at the end of it.

Empty.

Legolas quietly came behind me. "He is gone then?"

"It would seem so."

Legolas's reply was silenced under a cry from behind us. "Did I get him?"

Turning, I saw Earandur slowly standing. He stumbled, and I almost stormed back to him, except for the hand Legolas kept upon my shoulder. I turned an accusing glare upon him. "How do you plan to explain him?"

Legolas shook his head. "I don't. Better to leave him, I'm starting to think."

I would have pressed my case except for matter at hand. "Well come on then, we'd best tell your adar there's a rogue inside the stronghold. Speaking of, would you mind telling me exactly what was going on? And how you positioned yourself in that situation?"