Chapter 19. Grumpy bear

Start from the beginning

North had gone over to help the guy with the dishes, which left me alone with their uncle. Walking towards him I held my hands behind my back to hide my nervous trembling and asked. "What can I do to help?"

Looking at me thoughtfully he asked "Do you plan on working here, little bird?"

I nodded my head. "I'd like that. But I can't give you any documentation." I knew finding a job when you had no ID would be a problem, but Luke had assured me his uncle would pay me in cash.

His eyebrows went up but he didn't ask any questions. "Ok, then, little bird. I will pay you in cash. Now, go over to that counter and show me what you can make for desert."

I looked around the whole kitchen first, familiarizing myself with the place. Making my decision I grabbed the necessary ingredients and walked back to my counter.

I began to prepare the pie dough. Once finished with mixing the dough I separated it into portions that I kneaded into discs and wrapped in a plastic bag, taking to the freezer to cool down.

While I waited for the dough to get ready I threw the ingredients to the filling into a bowl to blend. As soon as I deemed the dough ready for use I retrieved it from the freezer and started to roll it out until I had what I needed to cover the pie plate. Once the pastry was filled I covered the top with thin strips I had cut from another portion of the dough and put it into the oven.

Looking up from my work I saw that Uncle and the boy were all standing together, a little away from my counter, watching me work in what seemed like fascination.

Blushing I asked "What?" was there flour in my face? Brushing my cheek with my hand I saw that indeed, yes, there seemed to be an embarrassingly amount of flour in my face.

"You look like a witch doing magic, cupcake." Said Luke in a loud whisper, his eyes still staring at me fixedly as if expecting me to grown wings or something of the sort.

Blinking in confusion I turned to North and Uncle. "What?" I asked again, slightly louder.

North seemed to come out of his trance with that and focused his eyes in my face as he answered "It is the way you were moving while cooking, baby. It is reminiscent of those Disney films where witches and fairies make flourishing gestures while making magic."

Blinking again in surprise I asked. "Humm... you watched many Disney movies, North?"

He blushed.

My question seemed to wake Uncle, because he turned to look at his youngest nephew while Luke burst out laughing.

"North!" Gasp, "Disney...movies" Laughing. "Cinderella!" Luke couldn't seem to decide if he wanted to laugh, talk or breathe. North just grumbled.

Turning back to me Uncle smiled and said. "You are hired."

Shocked I said. "But you didn't even taste my pie yet!"

Looking at me with a soft smile he said. "You just made a traditional apple pie from scratch, girl. I can tell it's a damn good recipe, which means you are a damn good cook in my book. Beside, anyone who manages to make my boys so happy should get a job and a raise." He finished with a teasing wink.

I smiled at them. I had a job.

...

The hospital was calm, the hour was late. The few professionals who were in charge of working at such a late hour walked silently by the corridors, speaking quietly so as to not wake up the sleeping patients in the rooms.

Standing in front of the glass divide of the nursery was a young doctor. The look on his face was one of wonder and wistfulness uncommon in one so young.