Ch. 4 - Chuck E. Cheese's and Mini-Golf

Start from the beginning

I nod. "Well, we will have to make sure you practice everyday this summer, rain or sun. I can be your coach."

"Did you play soccer?"

"I played on the little league. Not going to lie, I was the best on the team," I joke and send him a wink.

As I pull into the driveway, I'm thrown off by how little cars there are. There are only two cars parked along the curb. I don't see people outside; I can't hear any music. Is there even a party? Did it not start yet?

The kids run to the house, leaving just Beth and me. I unbuckle the baby and hold her in my arms. She whacks lightly at my face as we walk into the house.

There is no one on the first floor of the house other than the kids who have swarmed the television and are already fighting over the remote. I set Beth down next to Addison before continuing my search.

The basement. That has to be it! It is a total party center. There are probably hundreds of kids down there right now, drinking and talking and dancing and doing whatever else partiers do.

I open the basement door. Hm, no blaring music, just soft, didn't any music. While walking downstairs, I hear Elliott's voice. So, there are people down here? Finally making my way to the basement, I'm shocked at what I find.

Elliott, Flynn, and two other girls are playing a game of ping-pong. They're the only four people in the basement. What kind of party is this? This doesn't seem like a party to me. I stayed out all night to avoid this? Some friends hanging out?

"What is this?"

They direct their attention to me. Flynn waves, as do the girls. Elliott sets down his paddle and walks towards me.

"My party," he says casually.

"There's three other people here!" I point out. "You told me I should take the kids out as if this party would be insane."

He smirks and crosses his arms in front of his chest. "You were expecting Animal House, weren't you?"

"A spin-off of some sort," I admit embarrassingly.

"Well, I'm sorry if you expected me to throw a rager, princess, but that isn't really my thing," he says with a faint grin.

"Seems like your thing," I mutter. "You purposely made it sound like your thing to get me and the kids out of the house."

"All I said was that I was having a party. You're the one who made up the rager." He points a finger in my direction. "You know, it was pretty shallow of you to assume I'd be a massive partier."

"You are a massive partier, Liot," Flynn jumps into the conversation and throws an arm over Elliott's shoulders. "He's just against being the party host."

Elliott pushes Flynn's arm off of him. "I don't like being in charge of a bunch of idiots who have no self-control."

"Why wouldn't you just invite your friends to your parties then so you won't have to worry about those idiots who have no self-control?" I suggest.

"My friends are idiots who have no self-control," he says and looks at Flynn.

Flynn laughs and pats his back. "This guy with the compliments!"

"Yeah and you're ugly too," Elliott mutters before turning back to join the girls at the ping-pong table.

"So, why don't you hang out with us for a bit?" Flynn says to me with his golden boy smile. "We're not doing much, so the more the merrier and less likely I'll be to hit myself in the face with a ping-pong ball."