Chapter 12

"Mr L, I don't know the answer." I insist, throwing my pen down on my book. 

I cannot believe that my Uncle is forcing me to come to lessons. I can't concentrate. My mind is still trying to think of a plan to find my father. 

"Hattie, we've been going over the past hour. You should understand this in half an hour." He points out. 

"I don't know. Please can we stop. I can't do this." I whisper, slamming my head against the desk and folding my arms, hiding myself. 

I hear the door open and shut, but i keep myself hidden. I can't take anymore maths. I've learnt, if maths seems easy, its because you're doing it wrong. 

"Hatz?" Steve asks, kneeling in front of the desk. 

I raise my head and lean it on my left palm. 

"I can't handle maths at the moment." I admit, scanning his eyes and he nods. 

"Your Uncle was stupid to make you do it." He points out. 

I stand up, shoving everything in my bag and Mr L walks in. 

"I'll do it all for homework." I tell him and open the door. 

I walk out, through the control room and into the garden. I lay on my back on the grass, it tickles against my neck as i throw my bag down beside me. 

Freyja. 

Iowa. 

They're both norse god names. Both unusual. Maybe Freyja is my sister. 

"Hey, kid." I hear Tony say as he walks closer. 

"Hey." 

He sits beside me on the grass, crossing his legs. 

"How did your lesson go?" 

"Bad. I spent the whole lesson on something that i should have understood straight away." I explain. 

"Rough day, huh?" 

"Yep." 

"Your Uncle is here." 

"Good." 

"Hattie, he's trying to protect you and he's extremely over protective. Maybe now is time you stand up and show him you protect yourself." Tony advises. 

"Thanks." I mumble, grabbing my bag, standing up and walking out of the garden. 

I stroll through the garden and into the main building. I go straight to reception, smiling at the pale blonde receptionist. 

"Can you tell me where Thor is please?" I ask. 

"Sure, he's on floor 13." 

"Thank you." 

I thought he was on that floor, I catch the elevator and step onto the floor. The workers turn and smile at me as i walk past them. Fury steps in front of me, blocking the way to the conference room that i can hear Thor is in. I glance up at Fury, raising an eyebrow in question. 

"I don't want another broken table." He scolds. 

"I have to talk to my Uncle." I argue. 

"He's busy." 

"Please Fury." I beg, batting my eyelashes. 

"Fine. You pay for any damages." 

I skip past him, smiling innocently. I knock on the door and my Uncle answers. I glance around the table, seeing Steve, Clint, Natasha and Banner. 

"I need to talk to you Uncle." I announce and i see the other Avengers tense. 

"Sure." 

"Lets go to the roof. I can't break anything, then." 

We climb into the elevator and up to the highest floor it goes. We have to walk the final flights of stairs and we step onto the roof. 

My Uncle walks ahead, glancing at the buildings around him as i close the door behind me. 

"I understand that you're protecting me. But, that's no reason to lie to me. I hate being lied to, especially by you Uncle." I admit. 

"I lie because if i tell you the truth, you will run off and i will never see you again." Uncle Thor whispers, not looking at me. 

"I won't. You're scared and that's okay. But Im old enough to handle it. The past is the past. I want to know my past, please." I beg. 

Thor turns around, his eyes swimming with tears and pain. I step back. 

I've never seen my Uncle cry, or look like he's about to cry. 

"I can't tell you the past, Harriet. You think you can handle it. But I know you can't." He argues, marching past me and down the stairs. 

I sigh loudly, running my hands through my straight black hair. I wanted him to give me answers. 

This is something Im going to have to do on my own. 

I sit down on the roof, pulling my knees to my chest and resting my chin on my arms. The wind snakes up my legs and makes me shiver. I look to the right and see children playing on the ground in the distance, they kick a football around as they squeal. 

I remember the first time i played football with my Uncle Thor. All of the Avengers were watching, they expected me to be terrible. I kicked the ball over into the dorm building from the garden, which is about the distance of two football pitches. Thor went to collect it and Steve kept telling how amazing i was, i felt amazing. Then my Uncle came back with the football, said he had an emergency and raced off. I played with Steve afterwards but I couldn't kick the football that hard again. 

I smile at the memory. This is my family. Why am i trying to bring back the past? I've got a great present. No ones life is perfect. Mine isn't, but I've got people who care about me and a over protective Uncle.

-------------------------------------------------- Sorry, short chapter but I promise it will get more exciting soon. Please vote and comment :D