Chapter 3

Im woken up by someone knocking viciously against my bedroom door. I roll out of bed, rubbing my eyes as i stumble to the door and open it.

"Wow, do you look like this every time you wake up?" Tony Stark teases.

He's dressed in jeans and a blue polo-shirt, he is typing on his phone as usual and smirks that annoying smirk.

"Yes, only when i wake up. You look like a train wreck all the time." I tease back.

"Whatever. Thor has set up a day out for you. We are all going, so get ready and meet us in the canteen in half an hour." He orders and walks off, leaving me in my grey nightie.

I close the door, jump in the shower, pull my hair into a plait and pull on a white t-shirt and denim shorts. I grab my phone and close the door behind me as i walk out.

I get the elevator down the canteen and see the Avengers are sat at the usual table. I walk past the fruit bowl and grab an apple, an orange and a banana. I stroll up the table and they instantly stop talking, staring straight at me.

"What have i done now?" I ask, tilting my head in question.

"Nothing, little one. You were complaining yesterday about not going to the city."

"Are we going to the city? Seriously? Don't play with me." I threaten and Tony bursts out laughing at my threat.

I use all my strength and shove him off the bench, he lands on his back on the wooden floor, his phone smashed a metre away from him. Tony sits up, his eyes burning with anger.

"You should make it indestructible next time." I joke, sitting in his seat and biting into my apple.

"As i was saying. We are going to the beach." Thor explains.

"Oh, cool. I've never been to the beach." I admit, smiling.

My Uncle smiles back, his eyes shining with happiness, then they change quickly to sadness. I send him a questioning look and he avoids my eye contact.

"How's your head?" Steve asks, sat two seats away from me.

"Its alright, thanks." I smile.

Tony pulls himself up next to me, he goes to sit down in the seat beside me but i glare up at him and he stands next to Thor for protection.

I ride with Thor and Steve, Tony takes Clint and Natasha. We reach the beach and the sound of waves crashing fills my ears. The second Steve parks the car i sprint off down the stone path, i race down the stone steps and onto the sand. I pull off my pumps and carry them in my hands as sand tickles between my toes. I step slowly forward, watching my footsteps shadow behind me, i walk to the edge of the sea. The water crashes against my toes, numbing them instantly and the smell of salt burns my nose.

I spin around to see the Avengers sat on the stone wall at the edge of the beach, all except Steve. He is sat on the beach, leaning back on his hands and he's using his feet to write something in the sand.

"Hattie!" Steve shouts.

I stroll up the sand, throwing my shoes and they land underneath where the Avengers are sat. I stand beside Steve and look down at his work. He's written "Hattie" in the sand, I smile and write "is the best" underneath. I pull out my phone and quickly take a photo before Steve changes it. He leans down and writes "not".

I force out a laugh and push him gently. He sends me a daring look as i quickly sprint in the opposite direction. I feel myself being lifted off the ground, i kick against him, screaming and he laughs as he turns me upside down on his back. My face is so close to the sand that i can smell it and his feet kicks sand in my face as he walks, i scream and punch his back, knowing i won't actually hurt him.

Suddenly, Im pulled back upright and thrown into the ice cold sea. The water numbs my skin and travels through my veins.

"Oh my god. Its freakin freezing!" I scream.

Steve has already ran off, a smirk across his face and all the Avengers burst out laughing. I stand up, the water dripping off my drenched body. A terrible idea to wear a white t-shirt to the beach.

I shake myself off and trudge through the sea, Steve turns around and his eyes widen at my transparent top. Tony Stark has looked up from his phone, his eyes scanning my body.

"You are disgusting." I shout, pointing at Tony. He sighs and looks back at his phone.

"Im sorry, Hatz. I didn't know that was going to happen." He admits, clicking his finger nervously.

Steve pulls off his brown leather jacket and offers it to me, avoiding eye contact.

"Thanks." I mutter, pulling on his jacket.

Steve's jacket is too big and reaches my thighs, the arms are far too long and i push them up to my elbow.

Thor glares at me with a confused look and i simply smile innocently at him.

*

After a few hours Im so freezing cold that we have to go back to SHIELD, i don't want to but Uncle Thor forces Steve to drive us home in his porsche.

When we return, i jump into a warm shower, loving the feeling of my body temperature rising again. I then pull on joggers and a blue t-shirt. I grab my books, piling them in my arms and i place my pencil case on top. I assumed that as we were going on a day out, that i didn't have to go to classes.

I walk down the corridor, through one of the control rooms and outside the conference room that is used for my lessons. I knock on the door and Mr Livingston tells me to come in. I enter and close the door behind me, i drop my books on the big glass table and sit on the black leather chair.

Mr Livingston has dark brown hair, wears black rim glasses and has deep brown eyes. He is wearing a black suit with a blue shirt and a blue striped tie.

He stands at the end of the glass table, his laptop in front of him and a metal crate that he carries everything in. Behind Mr L is a huge smart board, designed by Stark and it has a slideshow titled "Of Mice And Men".

"Hello, Hattie. How are you?"

"Im okay, thanks, Mr L. You?"

The lesson goes slowly, he asks me lots of questions about the book and i explain what features Steinbeck used and what effect it has on the reader. After an hour, he says i can go.

I pick up all my stuff and walk back to my bedroom.

Then, i stroll down to the canteen and grab a blue tray. The meal for is lasagna, i grab a plateful and sit at the table with Natasha and Clint. They smile at me and we eat.

"Are you feeling warmer now?" Clint asks, his eyes shining with laughter.

"I wasn't that cold, Thor was being over protective." I mumble.

"He is your Uncle, Hattie." Natasha points out.

"He still made me go to a lesson." I explain.

"We are going for training. Good night." Clint announces as they both stand up, put their trays away and walk down the corridor.