22- The Forest of Dean

Harry groaned as the alarm clock woke him from his dream.

He was dreaming about spending an entire day at the beach with Hermione. He had just got ready to kiss her when a loud beeping started and he woke up.

He slaps it and it shuts off. Hermione stretches and accidentally smacks Harry in the face with her arm.

"Bloody hell Hermione." He says, rubbing his now bleeding nose.

"Sorry! Here, I'll get you a tissue." She leaps to her feet and gives him a tissue from a box on their bed side table.

He leaves the house for work with Hermione on his arm and a tissue up his nose.

They stroll down the street towards the old out of order telephone box. Standing outside of the box is Ron and Luna, waiting patiently for them to arrive. They greet each other quickly and then cram into the telephone box while Ron punches the secret number in.

"I'm getting deja vu just sitting here. We're missing Neville and Ginny though." Luna speaks up from the far left corner, and Harry feels Hermione nod beside him.

"Yeah. Except this time we aren't going to break into the Department of Mysteries I hope."

There was a ding then, and a very formal woman's voice speaks up. "Welcome to the Ministry of Magic. Please state your name and business."
"Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley and Luna Lovegood, and we're here to go to work." Harry says, wincing at how stupid the last part sounded. Ron holds in his laugh.

"Very well." The cool voice says. "Please take your token and have a good day."

Ron passes the tokens ot as they advance into the ground, still smashed together.

When the telephone booth finally stops moving, it makes a small ding and pops open, allowing them to step out into the hall. They walk past the large statues stationed in the hall, and all of the people filing into work around them.

"So... where do we go?" Ron asks, and they all shrug.

Harry spots Kingsley a few feet away. "Let's go ask Kingsley!"

He was surrounded by a mob of reporters and was struggling unsuccessfully to get them to leave him alone. Harry, Ron and Hermione run up to him and push through the crowd, calling his name.

"KINGSLEY!"

"Hey, Kinglsey!"

He turns around to see the four of them right in his face. He chuckles softly and backs up a few steps, taking them in.

"Harry, Ron, Hermione! It's good to see you again! And you too, Luna. Your father doing alright?"

She tries to respond, but her light voice can't be heard over all of the reporters. Kingsley nods in understanding and then turns to the crowd.
"Now, I didn't want to do this, but if you don't leave, I will put you all under arrest."

The crowd scattered. Hermione opened her mouth in shock. "Kingsley! You can't say that!"

He shrugs. "Shoot me. Now, I understand that you're all here for your jobs?"

They nod, and Kingsley claps his hands together. "All right then. Harry, Ron, Hermione... the Aurors are leaving on a trip to handle some escaped prisoners... here they are now!"

A man trots over then, about Harry's age. He smiles politely at all of them.

"Hello Minister. We were just about to leave... who is this?" He nods at the four of them, but his eyes fall onto Harry. "Wait a minute. You're Harry Potter! And you're Hermione Granger, the brightest witch of the age!"

"What am I, chopped liver?" Ron mutters, and the man laughs.

"Of course not. You're Ron Weasley, well known Quidditch Keeper and member of the Golden Trio! And your Luna Lovegood! I love your articles in the Quibbler!" He gushes, and Ron beams happily and Luna smiles politely and shakes his hand.

"I'm Travis McGinley, the head of all Aurors."

"Hello sir, we were just here to start our first day as Aurors." Hermione says, and Travis claps his hands.

"Excellent! You can start of with us, we have some prisoners to get back behind bars." And Harry, Ron and Hermione follow him over to a group of men and women, all of whom are using floo powder to exit. Harry watches and figures out quickly that they are apparating to the Forest of Dean. Memories flash through Harry's head of the forest and staying in the tent with Ron and Hermione. The three of them silently do the same as the rest, and soon are engulfed in flames.

They appear inside of a warm cabin placed in the woods and file outside to see a dark forest and a starry sky. Hermione pulls her wand out, and Ron squints into the darkness.

No one was outside.

The other Aurors were no where to be seen- it was as if they'd vanished in thin air.

"Do you think we went to the wrong forest?" Hermione asks, but Harry shakes his head. When they stayed in the Forest of Dean, Harry had learned it like the back of his hand. He knew these woods by heart.

He could see the lake where he had first saw Snape's patronous in the background, glittering in the moonlight. He could see that clearing where they had set up camp. The nest of the owl that had frightened him during one of his nightly watches. The dirt spot where they had spied on the goblins and other people who had temporarily set up camp.

"No... we can't be in the wrong place. I'm positive this is it." Harry says. "Maybe everyone already left to find the prisoners?"

"Well, you're right about one thing Potter." A voice says from behind them, and they all tense.