16- The Womping Willow maims Hermione

Please note that this starts after Harry and Dumbledore return from getting the Horcrux.

Harry dashes down the stone stairs, chasing after Snape, refusing to let him get away.

How could he kill Dumbledore?

Sure he was evil and heartless... but Harry didn't know, well, how could he possibly think that Snape would kill Dumbledore?

Harry stopped cold in his tracks when he takes in the sight before him. All of his friends (and enemies) were engrossed in a fight in the Great Hall. Harry scans the room to see Ron in the corner, throwing hexes and swear words at Yaxley. Before Harry can react, a Death Eater soars across the room, and Harry turns to see Hermione, battling three Death Eaters on her own, sending them flying whenever she gets the chance. Harry watches, amazed, as she blocks two hexes while sending a curse towards the Death Eater to her life. she sends a bolt of light at a different Death Eater halfway across the room, and Harry only later realises that she saved Parvati Patil's life.

Harry rushes to her side, starting to throw every hex he can thing of their way.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" Hermione shouts, and one of the Death Eaters soars out the window. Harry grins.

"Nice one Hermione. Confundo!"

Across the room, someone shouts. "Retreat! He's been killed! RETREAT!"

All of the Death Eaters turn and sprint for the exit. Harry and Hermione run after them, but they aren't fast enough. Hermione pants beside him, gripping her side, and sprints faster, grabbing onto Snape's cloak.

Snape hollers in outrage and turns around. "Don't think you can stop me Granger. I saw what you did on my Death Eater colleagues. I think you should have a taste of what it feels like." Snape raises his wand. "Wingardium Leviosa!"

Hermione tumbles up into the air, and Snape sends her flying backwards as she screams, into the Womping Willow. Harry watches in horror as the huge tree smacks her with one of it's thickest branches, and she tumbles to the ground.

She doesn't get up.

"You filthy, bastard! You've killed her!" Harry screams, tears streaming down his face. He throws as many spells as he can Snape's wa, but he takes off running. Harry is about to follow him, when he decides that Hermione is more important.

Harry runs to her side, sobbing. If Hermione was dead...

As he kneels next to her, he sees that her head is bleeding heavily. Her lips are parted and her eyes are shut, her hair fanned our around her. Scratches cover her body from all of the branches, and Harry feels pure hate for Snape course through him. Harry's hands shake as he checks her for a pulse. Relieved, he checks to make sure she's breathing as well, and he feels her warm breath on his face.

He bends down and gives her a small kiss on the lips before picking her up bridal style and carrying her into the castle.

~~~~~

"Mione, you need to stay in the hospital wing a little longer."

Harry was trying to get her to stay in her hospital bed, but Hermione had proved herself to be stubborn. She stood her ground, crossing her arms and staring at him.

"Why?" She asks angrily. "I'm fine. Watch." She stands up and nearly crashes down into the bedside table, but Harry catches her at last second.

"Yeah. You're totally fine." Harry grins down at her, and she rolls her eyes, fighting back a smile.

Harry sets her down onto the bed, and she frowns at him.

"Harry, please." She whispers, and Harry very nearly lets her get up, before shaking his head violently and taking her hand.

"Hermione, do you know what happened to you?" He asks her, tracing circles into her smooth skin with his thumb.

Hermione exhales loudly before nodding her head. "Yes. I was chasing Snape with you, and he knocked me out..."

"Do you remember how he knocked you out?"

Hermione squints before shaking her head. "No, I don't."

"He saw that you were levitating Death Eaters out the window, so he levitated you up into the air, and sent you flying backwards into the Womping Willow. And then you were smacked with one of the largest branches and you tumbled to the ground. I thought you were dead, Mione." He says, whispering the last part.

Hermione squeezes his hand. "But I'm not. It's okay, Harry."

Harry sighs. "The point is, if you were that close to death, and I freaked out that much, there's no way I'm letting you leave the hospital wing."

Hermione glowers. "How am I supposed to help anyone when I'm stuck in the hospital wing? And where's Dumbledore? I bet he would let me leave." She says, folding her arms over her chest and staring at him. But she drops the angry look as soon as she sees the look of hurt on Harry's face. "Oh, Harry... the noise up in the tower, and the falling figure... he's not- oh Harry-"

And then Harry starts to sob. Dumbledore had been there for him, and helped him and treated him with such kindness and respect, and now he was gone. Harry hugs Hermione and sobs into her shoulder as she rubs circles into his back. When he finally gains control of himself, he pulls away to see that a few tears have trickled down her face.

"It's going to be alright Harry."

The next day, the funeral for Dumbledore was carried out. Harry and Hermione sat by Ron and Ginny, who had recently patched things up with the two.

"I'm sorry for this year, mate. I know I put you through hell." AN// Sorry for swearing, but it fit really well.

"It's fine, Ron. I know you liked Hermione."

Ron winces. "I wouldn't say that the crush is quite gone yet either. I'm just going to warn you, Harry. Watch your girl. Other boys have their eyes on her." Then he turns back to the priest who is speaking for Dumbledore.

Harry puts his arms around Hermione's shoulders protectively. Is dating Hermione really the best thing he could do for her right now? What if Voldemort...

No. Dumbledore said that the best thing he could do to keep Hermione safe was to keep dating her and keep her close. He squeezes Hermione shoulders and wipes a few of the tears from her face. She lays her head onto Harry's shoulder, and he makes his mind up.

Hermione was his. And no one was going to take her from him.