19th ☾ Blood Ties

Your skin, trembling underneath my fingertips,

And your breath, cold as it touched my flesh.

19th

Blood Ties

"A Forthwind?" Alec was furious with me.

Dazed, my mouth hung open. I didn't know what to say. It couldn't be.

He forcefully took back the glove that I'd removed from his hand. He didn't put it back in place. Instead, he also removed the other, placing them inside the pocket of his trousers. "What is your problem? I don't know why you're acting like this or if you have turned insane."

I was staring at Alec Gaunt with trembling, bloodshot eyes.

He mistook it for something else, hurriedly saying, "I apologize for getting angry, especially since you are our guest here. It's wrong for me to act..."

He was saying words, but I could barely hear him. The last chance I had to obtain that sword—it was gone. And just like that, I feared that Henry might have won again. No, this couldn't be happening. I was in complete denial of what I'd seen.

Or more precisely—of what I hadn't seen.

There was no seal on Alec Gaunt's right hand. There was no mark of the two crescent moons. I was intently looking at both of his hands and they were exposed long enough for me to see it with my own eyes. I kept the remaining hope in me alive, checking if the seal was placed on his left hand. But to my dismay, there was no seal on his left hand, either.

Breathing heavily, I was unable to move from my place. My eyes were quivering, and it was perhaps the aftereffect of the realization that this was the end. There was no way I could obtain that sword that could kill the enemy. We would all be at the mercy of Henry's cold blooded hands, suffering all our lives. We wouldn't be able to overthrow him from the throne. I could never help bring justice to what Henry had done, not only to my parents, but also for the loved ones of these people who became dear to me over the years.

"Cassandra?" I was startled when Alec held me on both arms, shaking me.

Lifting my head, I muttered to myself, "This is not how it's supposed to be..."

"What are you saying?" he asked.

"Everything..." I got out of his grip, feeling suffocated.

"Are you alright? You look pale," Alec said, examining me.

"Yeah," I replied, catching my breath as I felt lightheaded. "I'm okay. I'm sorry if I have startled you or anything."

"Do you want me to accompany you inside?" he offered.

I shook my head. "Go ahead. You... I know that you still have a lot to do. I'm fine. And Alec, I'm sorry for taking too much of your time."

"Are you sure?" Alec asked.

"Yes," I said.

When Alec left, I found myself walking unsteadily to the woods, holding on to whatever would keep me from falling to the ground. My head was spinning and my breathing was still shallow. This shouldn't be happening. Headache crept in as I tried to come up with a resolution. I had to think of a way. Keira Lockwood entrusted me with this task, and I had also failed her.

If only I had more time left, I could start all over again. But the crescent moons would appear in four days. Should I start searching for another lead? I already exposed my real name and identity. I couldn't go around the town without raising suspicion.