11th ☾ Lies and Deceit

I shouldn't know you, but your eyes told me,

Unspoken shadows lost in your lips.

11th

Lies and Deceit

"Are you really coming to that ball?" Wilson asked, as I was starting the fire. We had set a camp in the forest located outside Wykeham Castle, and the night was starting to settle in. Wilson had been following me all day, repeating the same thing.

"Yes, I am. Anthony's plan," I replied.

"Why do you have to do that? We can just barge into the king's library and get those records," Wilson said, worry settling in his voice.

"We can't actually do that because there are tons of guards out there. The contents of that library are even more costly compared to those treasures we have stolen," I said to him. Even if I talked Lancelot into it, I wasn't sure if I could succeed in getting inside.

"But then you could get caught. What if the king's guards recognize you?" Wilson demanded.

"They won't. It has been six years, they won't even have a clue," I said, adjusting the fake mustache he had made for me. I wanted to console Wilson and assure him that it would be all right.

"Even Bryce and Anthony didn't come unscathed from our last mission," Wilson pointed out.

"They're fine now. This is why we have Janshai," I replied.

"I don't like this. I really don't like this," Wilson said in frustration.

"Hey," I said, placing a hand on his sturdy arm. "Relax. I'm capable enough to handle myself."

"From the same person who almost killed you? Twice?" Wilson said in a high voice.

I shouldn't have told him that story. "I'll make sure he doesn't do it thrice."

"Look, just make sure that you won't let that prince know who you really are and see the seal on your hand. Nothing more to do if you and Bryce and Anthony wanted to do this. But they can't force me to stay here and do nothing. I will come," Wilson said. By this time, he was aware of my entire story, as well as the presence of the seal. Bryce and Anthony had permitted him to know, concluding that we needed one more person to help keep the secret of the magic seal that I was carrying. This was also the reason why he easily got scared when it concerned my well-being.

"I won't let him know, okay? The prince won't even have a clue that I am the fugitive that the kingdom is frantically searching for," I said, slouching down as I took a seat near the fire.

"I'm just worried about you," said Wilson in a low voice, turning his back against me and letting out a plentiful sigh.

Placing a hand on his back in comfort, I said, "You're not crying, aren't you?"

He sniffed.

"It's going to be alright."

"It's just that... I've seen it all," Wilson said, his voice broke off. "My wife and child taken away and get killed in front of my eyes. I don't want that to happen again with you. I've watched you grow up."

"Okay, I understand that. I'll come back alive. I promise."

"Very well, just come back safely," Wilson said, regaining a smile. "Let's get you ready for the ball."