15th ☾ Man with the Seal

Early dawn, the sun hits the horizon,

All things come to life, including my soul.

15th

Man with the Seal

"How..." The astonishment I felt after finding out that the bottom of the well was a secret door to let in some light into this small hiding place suddenly became second to the presence of the one standing in front of me.

"I escaped," he said, as if that explained everything.

"Why?" I asked him. It was Lancelot. The dried cuts on his face. The vanishing tinge of the bruises that formed after what Henry did to him. Even if it was hard to believe, it couldn't be anybody else. With a stuttering voice, I continued, "How... why are you here?"

He smiled, humorlessly. "I found a way to escape. They're looking everywhere for me. The guards were not after you, Miles. They mistook you for me."

"For a moment, I thought the guards had located me," I said, appeased.

He shook his head.

"That's good to hear," I whispered, as I stood with my back pressed against the wall. I found myself staring at him, at his face, tracing back my thoughts and wondering. I recalled that night in his mother's room, what his ruthless father had done to him. And here he was, as if nothing had happened.

A part of me was greatly relieved that he was okay.

Lancelot didn't move from where he was standing. He was a few steps away. The warmth in his eyes, they were passing and changing. He almost reached out to me, but held back the thought.

With a forced laugh, I lightened up the mood, saying, "Why are you here, Your Highness? Have you been following us all this while?"

"I knew you would come here." Lancelot shrugged helplessly and laughed.

I replied, "We have to find Alec Forthwind, as you already know."

"For a reason I still couldn't figure out why."

"True."

He took a step forward and then sat on the concrete stair step in front of me. Clasping his hands together and placing his elbows on his knee, Lancelot lifted his head and said, "Take me with you."

I blinked. "Where?"

He gave me a discerning look.

"To find Alec Forthwind?" I said aloud.

Lancelot nodded.

"Okay, this sounds confusing," I admitted.

"What?" he questioned.

"You. Alec Forthwind. It doesn't sound right."

"I need to ask him something," Lancelot said.

"Which is?" I asked for him to continue.

He was hesitant, the edges of his mouth tightened. "Maybe I'll let you know when we actually find him."

"Hold back there, mister," I cut off his thoughts. "I haven't agreed to your proposition of taking you with us."

"Can't I just join the search?"

"To be honest, our reason for finding him is highly against you, as the prince of the kingdom," I replied, unfazed with his request.

"Let me guess. You wanted my father out of the throne and give it back to the Forthwinds," he started. I pressed my lips tight. And then, he continued, "Look, Miles, given that you're part of a group that wanted to overthrow my father, I've expected this much. It's no news to me."