Tim seemed like a nice guy so far. He was amusing and polite, which I expected since he was good friends with David. I think he played baseball with David, so he had an athletic build that complemented his short brown hair and green eyes. Everything I learned about him so far seemed to hint that he was a great guy, yet I couldn't help but compare him to David.

As I was forced into sitting next to David—which I secretly wanted—he turned to talk to me while Kody answered a phone call. Tim seemed to be texting again, something annoying I discovered about him.

"What's your favorite song by them?" David asked me.

I smiled as I thought about that question. "Hmm, I don't know, I love them all. I guess Desperate Measures is one of my favorites though," I told him.

He nodded appreciatively. "That's a good one. One of my favorites is Beside You," he said, looking straight into my eyes. For a second I thought he said that song on purpose as the lyrics swirled around in my brain. That second didn't last long enough though since Kody asked David something suddenly.

I sighed quietly to myself before Tim started talking to me. I'm sure I looked like I was listening, but in reality I was thinking about David—again. For the past three weeks that he's gone out with Kody, I've tried to ignore my feelings for him. I know how wrong it is to like my best friend's boyfriend. The last thing I'd do is wreck their relationship, so getting over him is the best solution.

There was just one problem with that solution; I couldn't get over him. It's gotten to the point where I've had to avoid Kody and David as much as possible. I really hated avoiding my best friend, but I couldn't take seeing her with David or talking about him. I just hoped that my feelings would eventually go away, even if that meant I had to suffer without my best friend for a little while.

And I had to suffer with not being able to be with the one person I really liked, or possibly even loved.

*****

Dakota

"So how'd you like the concert last night?" I asked Harlow. It was Saturday afternoon and we were sitting on the floor of the living room. I was trying to help her with some of the homecoming plans, which had to be completed by Monday since the dance was in two weeks. Apparently Kim just needed Harlow to look over a few last minute things before finalizing them on Monday.

"It was great. I love Marianas Trench," she answered, not looking up from her scattered papers.

"Yeah, David has a great sense of music, just like you. Actually, you two have a lot in common," I commented.

"Really? Like what?" she asked curiously, finally looking away from her papers.

"Well, you both like the same kind of music, you both prefer the snow over the beach, you both hate seafood and love fruit, and your sense of humor is similar," I said, trying to think of things they had in common. I think their similarities are what made it so easy to talk to David. We didn't have a lot in common, but our personalities meshed well together, like mine and Harlow's.

"Oh," she said, returning to her work.

"I'm really glad you two get along. He's a great guy," I stated, shuffling around papers.

After a moment of silence, Harlow asked, "Do you think he's different from the other guys?"

"I know he's different," I answered immediately, confident I was right. I knew David wouldn't cheat on me like the other guys had. I knew he wasn't the type of person to use me either.

Harlow paused. "So you think you'll be with him more than a month this time?"

I shrugged. "Maybe. David is different from all my past boyfriends, so I don't know."