I had no words. My aunt always wanted me to stand up for myself. But how could I when I couldn't find any words? I bit my cheek and grappled for my confidence, hidden somewhere in the dark abyss inside me.

"Andy," Parker started.

I spat in the man's face.

"What are you doing!" Parker shouted.

The man's face grew crimson red. His sweaty palms grabbed me and threw me to the ground. "Stupid girl!" he spat.

"Hey, hey, wait!" Parker interrupted. He stepped between us. "Maybe we can't give you everything, but what do you need?"

"Parker what the hell? Why are you trying to reason with the—"

"Just shut up Andy. I need you to shut your trap for just one minute for once in your life."

Again, I was at a loss for words.

The disgusting man let out a grumbling chuckle. "What do I need? Depends. Where are you traveling."

"North."

"You're going the wrong way then."

"It's the only way—"

"You're an idiot if you think it's the wrong way," I interrupted.

The man's evil eyes stabbed at my heart.

"Get in the truck Andy!" Parker bellowed.

"Wh—"

"Go!" he snapped.

I clamped down on the inside of my cheeks. I shamefully climbed to my feet, and walked backwards to my truck. I sat miserably next to Newt while the two held a conversation. The dog let out a rumbling noise.

"Well, I tried to get my way bud. The world's just full of stupid people. Parker's just waisting his breath."

I looked upstream to where my aunt's cabin was hidden beneath the smoke. I missed her, more than anything. A heavy weight settled on my chest.

My passenger door opened, and Parker climbed in. "Let's go."

"Where," I mumbled.

"Across the bridge. He's letting us go."

My head snapped up. "What? He's letting us through? How! What'd you do?"

He flashed me that lopsided smirk. "Have you forgotten who I am? I'm Parker Dee."

I breathed a laugh. "And maybe I'm amazed." The shuttering engine came to life on the second try.

The man pulled his van to the side, and we crossed the bridge.

Again, I stayed slow to minimize any more damage. Slabs of concrete had fallen off, but there was enough of a path to fit my truck. Fear flooded my stomach as we crossed a narrow section. My knuckles were white from holding onto the steering wheel with an iron grasp. My heart thundered in my chest and blood rushed from my head. I could see the river through the hole, a dizzying distance below.

I forced my eyes to stay forward. Focus only on where we were heading. Never look back, never look down. My aunt told me that once. "Never look down. You can't hide your double chin if you do that." I wished she were here now. I desperately needed her words and her wisdom. I was just a tiny speck of dust in the vast universe, and even though my aunt was shorter, she seemed bigger. She held a larger impact than a meteorite. The weight on my chest grew.

The ground beneath me seemed to feel less stable as well, even though we were off the bridge. I focused on my breathing.

Survive now, live later.