Chapter 16: His Confession, Her Heartbreak

"Yes. A part of me still very much does," he finally confessed, as a hot tear left Meredith's eye, falling on her cheek. She bit her lips hard, as she tried not to cry, so hard she could taste a little blood, but it was nothing compared to her bleeding heart. She had all the confidence in this man that he would love her, and only her, that in his heart was only her. That truth hurt, why would she bother finding out? Which woman's heart would not shatter into pieces knowing she was sharing a romantic place with another woman in his heart? Lionel was right in his allegation. She swallowed, feeling an ache in her heart, like a newly-sharpened dagger had pierced through it. She had loved this man with all her heart, made him the centre of her world, only to know that in return, she only had half his heart. She felt disappointed, but why was she not angry with him? She had all the right to be. Instead, she felt sad... sad for her Severus. However, she knew that circumstances had made him act like he did when he was young. He did not have love from his parents, and Lily showed him the affection he longed for, albeit only from a friend, and that gave him the opportunity to love. She was an orphan too but her upbringing was full of love, albeit only from the nuns who ran the orphanage she was placed in. She was shown love at home, but Severus only knew abuse at home.

"I'm sorry, Mer... This is the reason why I kept this part of my past from you. I cared about you so much I didn't want to hurt your feeling knowing that I... I still love the woman I couldn't get though she's long gone."

"Hey... it's alright... I thought I had all your heart but... hey, who cares if I only have half of it?" she said, trying to sound casual. "You have made me a very happy woman since you came into my life, Sev. So very happy. How can I ever ask for more? And if I have already had that much happiness by occupying only half your heart, I am content. You have all of mine, though... Please don't feel bad about it. I love you very much, Severus Snape, with all my heart. Please remember that. Always," she said, as she squeezed his hands tightly as he squeezed hers hard too.

"What did I do to ever deserve someone like you?" he said. "You know why I'm not scared to die tonight?" he asked.

Meredith couldn't answer because she was trying very hard to not let him hear her cry. She did not want him to die. She could not even try to imagine her life without him. She would rather die for him instead.

"Because..." he continued, "I feel safe... I feel safe being with you, Meredith. I had never felt his safe with anyone, even in my past, even with... Lily, as I feel being with you. I never have to feel scared because I know your love can sustain me through all my fears. You're my safe heaven, my love. And if tonight I died, I'd die knowing I was loved back more than I ever deserved."

"Don't leave me, Sev, please..." she pleaded as she cried, "Just... just apologise to Lionel. Tell him you're sorry for everything. I'm sure he'll understand. I wasn't there when everything happened which brought you both apart, but he felt rejected too, like you felt rejected by Lily. He needs to forgive you but he won't be able do it if you don't apologise. You both need to forgive each other. Sometimes, forgiveness is all we need, Sev..."

"No, it's not that simple with Lionel."

"Try... and if it doesn't work, at least you know you've tried."

"I'll try..." Snape assured her, "if he doesn't kill me yet."

Both chuckled.

"Hey baby..." Meredith called in her usual soft tone.

"Hmmm?"

"Happy first anniversary in advance," she said.