Chapter 7: His True Identity

Start from the beginning

"You are not crazy. Not at all," Snape assured her as his thumbs wiped the flowing tears on her face. "There are people with magical abilities, Mer. People without it are called Muggles. You're a Muggle, for example. Hermione's parents are Muggles. Even Harry's maternal family is Muggle. I... I'm half-Muggle too," he explained. She was silent still. "This evening, when you were attacked, you were under a paralysis spell when we found you. Lionel must have cast that spell to render you powerless. Minerva took you out of that spell."

"Minerva?" Meredith said, looking at the lady. She just nodded.

"And your pain... Hermione used her healing spell to heal you," her husband added.

"So, you both are..." Meredith tried to guess...

"Witches, yes," Hermione confirmed.

"And we are wizards," Harry and Ron said, almost simultaneously. "We put the place back together, it was a mess when we got here," Harry added.

"I... I need some air," Meredith said and then stood up. She opened the door and went outside, leaving Severus and their guests inside.

She sat on the bench where her little flower garden was. She shuddered as she crossed her arms on her chest, trying to keep warm. The night breeze brushed against her exposed skin. Her dress was made only made of thin material. Her lips quivered. Her face felt cold in her hands as she wiped her tears away. Then, a shawl was draped around her.

"I know it must have been too much to take," Snape said as he took his seat close to her. "If magic is what scared you..."

"Was that what you thought made me so upset, Severus?" Meredith questioned. "Magic? I don't care what you were. Even if you used to be a mafia leader, or an escaped convict, I just don't care at all. I just couldn't understand why you lied about yourself."

"I didn't lie to you, Meredith. I just... did not tell you the whole truth about myself."

"And how is that different from lying, Severus?" she countered. "I'm not upset about you being a wizard once, even if you still are. I'm just upset because you lied about it. I'm an orphan, Sev. Yes, I considered the nuns who raised me as my family. I considered my colleagues as my family too. But they are... still other people who have their own families, to whom they have natural familial obligation. You...," she poked his chest repeatedly, "You are my ONLY real family, Sev. If you don't find me worthy to be trusted..."

"I trust you with all my heart," Snape interrupted as he cupped her face in his hands. "I'm sorry I lied about who I was. I hated the old Severus. He was a miserable guy. A dejected loner. I escaped from my wizarding home because I wanted to leave that wretched guy behind. I wanted to forget he ever existed. I was in doubt of my future when I wandered that alley four years ago, but you found me, took me in, and loved me. You, Meredith, loved me more than I thought I deserved, and no one, no one in my past had ever loved me even a little. I had to hate everyone just so that I wouldn't feel bad being hated by them. But you, you showed me love even before you knew my name, when you found me broken. You patched me up. Not even magic can do that to me. You are an incredible woman, Meredith, and I cannot thank God enough for making you a part of me. I hid my past from you because... I wanted to hide it from myself. I'm sorry for being selfish."

"They were just idiots who did not know how to appreciate a great person like you," Meredith replied. She kissed him and did not break it for a long time, as if trying to show how she appreciated him. She was lost in the heat of the moment she did not feel cold anymore. "You'll love your anniversary present next week, I guarantee that. You're hard to please with presents but you'll love it," she said when she finally pulled her face from his.

"I haven't got you anything."

"You have. You."

"Forever the hopeless romantic one, are you?" Snape teased.

"Thank you, Mr. Wizard. Do you... still... practice it? Magic?"

"No," he shook his head. "Haven't used it since you found me that fateful day. You used your own magic in your own way to make me the man I am today, Meredith. I live this wonderful life because of you, and... until the day I breathe my last, I will allow no harm to befall you."

"You're so sweet... so sweet I might get diabetes." And she kissed him again.

"I was... a renowned Potions Master... If I... practice it... again... I am more than capable... to find you a cure," he said in between kisses.

"Let's get inside. The others might be worried. And I don't think our neighbours would appreciate our public display of affection," Meredith told her husband. Snape smirked naughtily.

When they entered the house again, Minerva, Hermione, Ron, and Harry immediately stood up and looked at them. They had the looks on their faces, all over which was written worried. Meredith could not blame them. They might have thought they were getting a divorce or something over a silly argument. She smiled at them, the same sweet smile they had seen earlier today, and with excitement in her eyes asked, "So who... wants to show Professor Snape's wife some magic tricks?"

The others looked at her in surprise and then it dawned on them everything was alright. They breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'll gladly teach you some useful spells but I'll let these three teach you some... tricks," Minerva winked at her.

"I'll teach you beautification spell!" Hermione suggested. "Not that you're not already beautiful but you can always be more beautiful," she corrected herself.

"And I can teach you some charms to charm your man more," Ron grinned. Snape just gave him a smug look.

"Name any tricks you'd like to learn, it will be my honour to teach the spouse of my former teacher," Harry said.

Meredith laughed at their eagerness, "No, just show me some. I don't need to learn. I'm married to a wizard already. He can magic things up for me. Hahaha!"

"I said I WAS a wizard," Snape protested.

"Can't you be one again?" Meredith said, disappointed.

"If need be. I have you. And you're the only magic I need," her husband replied, kissing her hand. "Alright, excuse me, please carry on showing my wife some... magic. I need to take a nice shower, it's been a long day." With that, he walked into their bedroom, leaving his wife to enjoy her own private magic show.