Why Me? (Scarlette's Troubles)

Scarlette's POV

I couldn't believe I'd passed out during our journey to Konoha. All because of my sporadic sleeping habits...

But to be perfectly honest, when I woke, several hours after arriving in the Village, I was more thoroughly surprised than I had been in all my fourteen years.

I blinked open my stiff, dry eyes, slightly annoyed at the tangle of hair that had fallen into my face while I slept. I pushed it aside with a sigh, and my entire body froze at the sight that greeted me.

Gaara, the emotionless, demon-housing boy that killed to feel his own existence, was lying on the bed beside me, staring up at the ceiling with his hands resting lightly on his stomach. We weren't touching. No there was a good foot of space between us, seeing as how this was a double bed. I guessed that the inn had only a select amount of room available, meaning two of the Hayes triplets would have to share.

But really, that wasn't very important at the moment, was it?

"G-Gaara," I stammered, resisting the sudden urge to bolt upright and flee the small, somewhat ornately decorated hotel room. "How... unexpected," I murmured, pushing myself up onto one elbow.

He continued to stare at the ceiling, but I watched his eyes. They were dark with his swirling thoughts, and I had difficulty reading them.

"Is everything alright?" I asked, tilting my head to the side. His gaze never wavered, though his eyes narrowed to little more than slits.

"Why is it that your sisters don't fear me?"

It took the majority of my self control not to blurt out, "Because they both happen to me mentally unstable." But I managed to refrain from doing so, swallowing back both my words and the creeping fear I always felt in his presence. Though in the past weeks it had dwindled significantly, so that I was little more than wary of him most of the time.

"You don't fear your friends, Gaara," I said softly, realizing how foreign these words must've sounded to someone like him. "And even if you find it impossible to believe, or simply accept, Ari and Violet both consider you their friend."

"What reason would they have for thinking that?" he asked. I sat up fully, pushing the warm blanket off my lithe legs and stretching them out.

"They can make friends with anyone," I said after a moment of thought. "And they see the good in people, most of the time," I added, smiling to myself as I thought of their honest hatred, or at the very least colossal dislike, for many animated characters. But with flesh and blood humans, Vi and Ari got along with them so well... that is, of course, until someone bad mouthed anime.

"There is no good in someone like me," he said, startling me from my reverie. "The only thing inside me is darkness... and anger."

"If Ari and Vi can see it, it's there Gaara," I told him gently, wondering in the process why he was choosing to say these things to me. What had I done to deserve such trust?

"Can you?"

"Me?" I asked, blinking as I looked back down at him. "Can I what?"

"See whatever good your sisters see," he clarified.

I didn't respond at first. I actually knew of the kindness that dwelt inside of Gaara, but how could I tell him something as outrageous as the truth?

When I didn't say anything for at least half a minute, he broke the quickly encroaching silence. "As I thought," he said, and his voice held the barest amount of emotion. "You truly are the only sister that I have made to fear me."