Chapter 11: Laughter and kid games

Start from the beginning

When I look over at Justin he is staring down at the table, both fists clenched tightly. "No.. you weren't," I slowly speak. "We were just working on spelling. Justin did amazing! You want to see? He wrote his name." I start to babble on to him and Grant nods, wanting to see Justin's work.

I notice that my dad is still standing there a small smile on his face as he watches us. He's always liked Grant. I show Grant the notebook and he smiles widely. "That's awesome! Justin do you want to try writing my name?"

Justin looks up from the table and stares Grant right in the eye before bluntly answering, "No." Then he stands up, grabs the notebook from his grasp, and leaves.

My mouth opens in shock as I saw what happened. "I-" I can't even find any words to say as I open and close my mouth. Grant places a hand on my shoulder. "It's okay, Bea."

"He's never acted like that before..." I whisper, looking over at my dad who stood there, his thinking face on. 

"Don't worry about it. He just needs sometime getting to warm up to me." Grant assures me. He always likes to look on to the better sides of things.

Nodding, I push back from the table and leave the dinning room with Grant.

Justin never left his room that night and he didn't talk to me the next morning.

~

It was finally Sunday which meant I was up early at six A.M for my jog. Don't get me wrong, I love getting my rest and sleeping, but something about jogging or running just gets me pumped and exited. I like to run and jog, it helps clear my mind and gets me in a good mood.

This week, I agreed to let Justin join me for my jog. Dad asked me to at least let him join me once and today was the day.

Dad had actually hired some people to come in and set up a built in gym for Justin and it was finished a few days ago. Ever since it was ready, he'd been working out a lot. He's already very strong and well built and I'm assuming dad and Justin both want him to keep his form.

There was two rules about the gym. If Justin was down there using it, he had to be supervised at all times and nobody other than my dad should be down there when he is. I understand the first rule, not so much the second one. My dad said something about making sure he doesn't seem like he's being 'watched' and about letting him workout in peace. I honestly think he's just nervous that Justin might have a break down in there and hurt someone, but he won't admit it.

Pulling back my hair from my face, I tie it in a high ponytail and make sure that my iPod shuffle is clipped to my top. 

Through the mirror, I see Justin walking over to me. He's dressed in a black vent tech thermal crew,  and shorts with his hair drapping over his face again like curtains.

The sight of a tattoo running down his leg instantly catch my attention. I haven't gotten a good look at his tattoos since the first day he got here. Since then, he's been covering them up. The one his leg looked a little strange to me. 

I couldn't see the full thing since it disappeared up his shorts, but I could see a bit of it. It looked like some sort of tribal tattoo, but I couldn't tell for sure.

Justin racks his fingers through his hair, revealing his eyes. I instantly look away from the tattoo. 

For a second, something flickers in his eyes when he looks up and down. I shyly cover my front with my light jacket. I was wearing a running sports bra today and now that Justin is here and looking at me, I feel too exposed. 

I decide to distract him with a question. "Ready to go?"

Instead of answering, he pulls of a hair band I lent him and hands it over to me, gesturing to his hair. "I've got to teach you to this on your," I tease as I make my way over to help him. "Or you could get a haircut so you wouldn't need this."