NINETEEN | 12/17/15

Start from the beginning

We fall into a comfortable silence once we begin driving again. There was a point of time where any physical contact with Harrison was uncomfortable. Now, as he rests his right hand on my thigh, I truly realize how much we grew as people.

"Hey," Harrison says after a while, "we should people-watch."

"People learn from people," I respond.

•••

WE ENTER MANHATTAN in the afternoon, and the view is absolutely astonishing. Upon entering it, I don't take notice of the mountainous skyscrapers, but I notice how crowded it is. Every time I come to the city, it never fails to make me feel completely small in comparison. Philadelphia doesn't even compare.

I stretch once I exit the car, overwhelmed by the distinct smell of car exhaust, sweat, and pine needles, which is a weird combination to experience. Harrison hooks his pinky with mine and leads us to the hotel, where we'll be staying, that his parents own.

"This is incredible," I say, scanning the lobby.

"Yeah," he agrees, "Let's check in, and then we can go explore."

We walk up to the desk, where an middle-aged woman named Jacqueline is typing on her computer. Harrison rests his elbow against the granite in a lazy way, but the action still holds an air of power. Although my boyfriend doesn't want the power his parents have, he still possesses it.

"Name?" The woman asks without looking up.

"C'mon, Jackie," Harrison says with a grin, "you gotta show more respect than that."

"Harrison?" Jackie says with a hint of confusion before she widens her eyes, "Harrison!"

She reaches over and hugs him, "It's been forever since I've last seen you! How are you? Who's this beautiful lady over here?"

He smiles at me, "This is my girlfriend, Arden Banks."

"Finally tied down to a girl, yeah?"

"You could say that," Harrison says with a laugh.

I love seeing him so happy. Harrison is usually full of smirks and sarcastic comments to anyone and everyone. Then he looks at me and the ones he loves, and his expression goes soft, like a sketch with sharp lines being rubbed away. His smiles are genuine, his words are sweet.

"It was really nice seeing you," he genuinely says after a few more words were exchanged between us, "We can chat later, but I need to go on an adventure with my lady."

"I'll leave you both to it then," Jackie says with a wink.

Once again, we're outside in the freezing air. I rub my hands together as I walk besides Harrison, suddenly wondering if it's worth venturing out in the cold. However, his warm hand grabs mine, and it's all okay.

"So," I say after a while, "Where are we going?"

"Well, a florist shop," Harrison flashes me a grin, "then we're gonna go to Central Park."

"A flower shop?"

"Yeah, here it is," he answers, "Just need to see some people I've missed."

A cute little florist shop named Sweet Stems stands at a street corner. He pushes open the door, immediately smiling at the punk boy behind the counter. I find his appearance unnerving in such a girly place, but Harrison takes no notice of it.

"Scotty," my boyfriend calls, gaining the attention of the punk, "How've you been?"

I whisper under my breath, "Do you know everyone in the area?"

"Only the ones that matter to me," he replies to me.

"Harrison Gage, damn," Scott acknowledges with a slight smirk on his face, "I never thought I'd see you around again."

"Well, here I am with my girl, Arden Banks," Harrison introduces, "and this is Scott Akers."

"Hi," I say, and Scott nods in reply.

"So, what brings you back to Manhattan?"

"Just exploring," Harrison says with shrug, "and I just wanted to, y'know, see everyone again."

•••

IT'S DARK AT this point, but we still decide to go skating. Everyone else looks like they're having so much fun, and I can honestly say that I feel the same way. I learned that I'm terrible at skating, but Harrison seems to know what he's doing, especially since he spent so much time here.

"You never told me you grew up in New York," I comment as we slowly make away around the rink.

"It just never came up, I guess. I've lived here for eleven years of my life, but everything really starting to start when I moved to Cherryhill."

"Well, I'm glad you did move there."

"Hey, we still would've met in a different lifetime."

I make a wobbly twirl, smiling at Harrison, "You think so?"

"I know so, Banks."

________________________________

LOLWHATISTHIS. I HOPE YOU DON'T FIND THIS BAD BECAUSE I LITERALLY SPENT ONE NIGHT ON THIS.

(SO I APOLOGIZE IF I MENTIONED SOMEWHERE ELSE THAT HARRISON DID GROW UP IN CHERRYHILL)

(DID YOU SPOT SCOTT?)

SORRY AGAIN FOR THE LONG WAIT. HOMEWORK JUST SUCKS.

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH. THANKS FOR HELPING REACH 10K.

BeSuReTo:

vote•comment•follow

--islandarc