26. Nothing Anymore.

When I woke the next morning, I found myself on the floor. "What... How did I even...?" I muttered as I sat up. And then I realised that the ship was moving again. Finally! We were returning back home!

I got up from the floor and couldn't help but to do a little jig. But I stopped halfway when I remembered my upcoming fate. "Aw crap." I said and plopped back onto the floor. I racked my brains for some excuse but found none. It seemed that I had run out of lies to tell. This can't happen! I must think up of at least something! I came up with nothing. Sighing, I got up once more and left the room, beginning to look for something.. productive to do.

Did this ship even have a library? Probably not. Mr. I-do-not-waste-time possibly hasn't read a single book in his life. He doesn't seem to know the concept of an adventure anyways. Yet... I tried recalling his office of this ship. Hadn't there been books there? I couldn't remember... But I can go and find out. Hopefully he wasn't inside.

How wrong I was.

Upon entering his office, he looked up from his work. I tried my best to ignore him, so I distracted myself by looking around his room. And I was wrong again. There were books in his office. What a marvellous surprise!

"Is there something the matter, Mr. Linton?" he asked me, but I didn't heed him. Curious and in slight dream-like state, I seemed to float over to the books and I was right about another thing. He never touched a single book. How did I know? The volumes were all dusty, that was how. I picked out a book at random, dusted it off and opened it. It was a novel. And it was a novel novel.

Halfway through the book, I realised that it was a sappy romance novel. Letting out a noise of disgust, I shut the book and put it back where it was. I wanted adventure. I wanted magic, dragons and knights in danger! With heroines to save them! But as I scoured the books and their insides, I found out that they were all damsel in distress books.

"Is there not a single book wherein a female is the main character!? The heroine??" I spluttered angrily. I pulled out another book and began reading it. I stopped when I found out that it was another damsel in distress book. I let out another noise of disgust and slammed the book shut.

"Would you keep quiet?" I jumped a mile high and whirled around to see Mr. Ambrose staring at me intently.

"Does the rustling of papers bother you? You should know that you're doing the same. So you keep quiet as well." I said and turned away from him.

"Say that again." I rolled my eyes but repeated myself, not turning around.

"You should keep quiet as well, sir, if the rustling of papers bothers you." Mr. Ambrose muttered something I couldn't hear. I could care less though. My attention was on another book already. I sat down on the floor and read, half bored.

As I read it, I felt Mr. Ambrose's gaze on me again, so I looked up to see if I was right. And I was.

"Why are you staring at me? Did no one ever tell you that it's rude to stare?"

"No." I snorted.

"Didn't think so." I returned my attention back to the book and found that it was about a lonely peasant on a journey to find some secret treasure that his village had been gossiping about for years. She, the peasant, decided to go on the journey in proving everyone in her village wrong. She had been ridiculed, teased and taunted without end all her life. Her parents were dead and she had no one other than an old woman who lived nearby.

As the story progressed, I found myself rocking back and forth. It was becoming more and more vigorous. I looked up, eyes wide at Mr. Ambrose. "What's going on sir?" I asked, slowly standing up.