Marco Polo: Magic Edition

Start from the beginning

“Hey-ey!” she says when she sees us.

“Jaz, if you want to be seen on the moon, just walk outside,” Ryan tells her. Jaz clenches her fists,

“Ryan, if you want to see your life flash before your eyes, keep talking,” Jaz threatens. Ryan’s mouth drops open without words from Jaz’s comeback.

“Need some ice for that burn, Ryan?” I ask and high-five Jaz for truly just being awesome. Ryan can’t help but smile too but shakes his head as he opens up his locker.  Jaz follows me across the narrow hall to my locker where I gather my books and she starts up another rant about how amazing Dominico Redwind is.

“Wow, you really don’t like him do you?” Jaz says when she sees that I honestly don’t share her enthusiasm. I shrug,

“I don’t know him first of all but I don’t think I was very nice to him yesterday so I feel kind of bad. I’m going to try to be a little more friendly today, I think. He is new and all so it won’t help to have me giving him a hard time,” I tell her. Jaz just laughs,

“You have the most guilty conscience ever! I seriously doubt you were that mean but don’t take this the wrong way, it’s awesome that you’ve decided to be nice now! You have successfully become a Jedi you ex-Dark Sith Lord!” I laugh too. I’m not the only one who is always making nerdy references. I’ve rubbed off on my friends without them even knowing. Mwahahahaha!  

By the time Jaz and I reach our Social Studies classroom we’re in a deep conversation about which Star Wars movie was the best. She says that the effects in the last one were the best but I think that when Anakin turns into Dark Vader in the third one was way better than the Death Star exploding. We both agree that the Wookies and Ewahs (if anyone doesn’t know ewahs are the awesome teddy bear dudes in the last one then I command you to go watch ALL the Star Wars movies again. Right now. Go on! Shoo!) are the most awesome characters although I think R2D2 is pretty amazing. We also both agree that Jar Jar Binks has an incredibly annoying voice. I’m so wrapped up in voicing my Star Wars views that neither me nor Jaz notices Dominico Redwind enter the classroom and sit down in the desk next to me until after the bell rings.

“Hi,” he says when I finally notice him and have a mini heart-attack because I hadn’t noticed him before.

“Hi, how was your first day?” I ask him politely. I’m still quite disgusted to be sitting right next to a warlock but I try to make myself be nice. He nods,

“Good. Well, good as in as good as school can be,” he says. I nod in sympathy.

“I know what you mean. I think ‘school good’ is equal to pretty awful though,” I tell him. He smiles,

“Yeah, I’m starting to believe that time actually slows down whenever you step foot in a school,” Dominico tells me.

“Exactly! That’s why they should shorten the school days so that we only have to go seven hours normal time instead of in microwave minutes!” I reason. Dominico chuckles. It is true that time is slower when you’re waiting on the microwave than at any other time of day. Mr. Bermuda comes in and both of us turn toward the front to hear the fascinating history of China. Fun. For someone who plans on being an engineer this is extremely irrelevant to me.

The bell finally rings thirty microwave minutes later. Both me and Jaz jump out of our seats. For me it’s because I just want to get on with this school day so it can be over with. For Jaz she wants to be the first girl to ask Dominico to walk to their next class. Like yesterday I call from the door,

“See you in fourth, Jaz!” without giving Dominico a second look. Fine, he’s not completely wretchedly awful but that doesn’t mean I want to strike up another conversation in this two class time span.